1956 NBA Playoffs
The 1956 NBA Playoffs was the postseason tournament of the National Basketball Association's 1955-56 season. The tournament concluded with the Eastern Conference champion Philadelphia Warriors defeating the Western Conference champion Fort Wayne Pistons 4 games to 1 in the NBA Finals.
It was the Warriors' second NBA title; their first was in 1947 back when the NBA was known as the BAA. They would have to wait until 1975 to taste championship gold again; by that time they had moved to the Bay Area and become the Golden State Warriors. Philadelphia's later team, the Philadelphia 76ers, would win the title in 1967.
This was the Pistons' second straight trip to the NBA Finals, but they would not make another appearance until 1988 as the Detroit Pistons. No team from Indiana would return to the NBA Finals until the Indiana Pacers did so in 2000.
|Division Semifinals||Division Finals||NBA Finals|
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: Minneapolis 103, St. Louis 97
Minneapolis defeats St. Louis for #2 seed in West. St. Louis gets #3.
- Game 1 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 82, New York 77
Syracuse defeats New York for #3 seed in East.
Champion: Fort Wayne Pistons
(1) Fort Wayne Pistons have division semifinals byes.
- Game 1 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 116, Minneapolis 115
- Game 2 @ Minneapolis: Minneapolis 133, St. Louis 75
- Game 3 @ Minneapolis: St. Louis 116, Minneapolis 115 (George Mikan’s final NBA game)
- Game 1 @ Fort Wayne: St. Louis 86, Fort Wayne 85
- Game 2 @ St. Louis: St. Louis 84, Fort Wayne 74
- Game 3 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 107, St. Louis 84
- Game 4 @ St. Louis: Fort Wayne 93, St. Louis 84
- Game 5 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 102, St. Louis 97 (Pistons become first team to come back after from a 2–0 deficit in NBA Playoffs)
Champion: Philadelphia Warriors
(1) Philadelphia Warriors have division semifinals byes.
- Game 1 @ Boston: Boston 110, Syracuse 93
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 101, Boston 98
- Game 3 @ Boston: Syracuse 102, Boston 97
- Game 1 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 109, Syracuse 87
- Game 2 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 122, Philadelphia 118
- Game 3 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 119, Syracuse 96
- Game 4 @ Syracuse: Syracuse 108, Philadelphia 104
- Game 5 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 109, Syracuse 104
- Game 1 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 98, Fort Wayne 94
- Game 2 @ Fort Wayne: Fort Wayne 84, Philadelphia 83
- Game 3 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 100, Fort Wayne 96
- Game 4 @ Fort Wayne: Philadelphia 107, Fort Wayne 105
- Game 5 @ Philadelphia: Philadelphia 99, Fort Wayne 88