65th Infantry Division Granatieri di Savoia
|65th Infantry Division Granatieri di Savoia|
|Active||26 December 1939 – 19 May 1941|
|Nickname||Granatieri di Savoia|
|Engagements||World War II|
|General Amedeo Liberati|
The Granatieri di Savoia was active on 26 December 1939. The Granatieri di Savoia and 40 Infantry Division "Hunters of Africa" (Cacciatori d'Africa) came under overall command of Amedeo, 3rd Duke of Aosta, who was Viceroy and Governor-General of AOI.
The Granatieri di Savoia took part in the Italian conquest of Kassala in Anglo-Egyptian Sudan on 4 July 1940, Italian conquest of British Somaliland and the Battle of Keren. The last elements of the Granatieri di Savoia Division surrendered on 19 May 1941.
- General Amedeo Liberati
- 10. Granatieri di Savoia Grenadier Regiment
- 11. Granatieri di Savoia Grenadier Regiment
- 60. Field Artillery Regiment
- 11. Monteferato Blackshirt CCNN Battalion
- Negelli Cavalry Battalion
- 65. Heavy Machine Gun Battalion
- 65. Combat Engineer Company nb 12
- An Italian Infantry Division normally consisted of two Infantry Regiments (three Battalions each), a Artillery Regiment, a Mortar Battalion (two companies), a Anti Tank Company, a Blackshirt Legion of two Battalions was sometimes attached. Each Division had only about 7,000 men, The Infantry and Artillery Regiments contained 1,650 men, the Blackshirt Legion 1,200, each company 150 men.1
- Paoletti, p 170
- Wendal, Marcus. "Italian Army". Axis History. Retrieved 2009-04-24.