|Length:||29.5 mi (47.5 km)|
|History:||Construction began 29 April 1929 and finished in 1934|
|West end:||Walton, Liverpool|
| A5058 road
|East end:||Irlams o' th' Height, Salford (A6)|
|St Helens, Merseyside|
The A580 (Liverpool-East Lancashire Road) is the United Kingdom's first purpose-built intercity highway.1 The road, which was officially opened by King George V on 18 July 1934, links Walton in Liverpool to Salford near Manchester. It remains a primary A road in England and is known colloquially as the "East Lancs Road".1
The road was built to provide better access between the Port of Liverpool, Manchester and the industrial areas of East Lancashire.1 Designed to be three-roads-in-one, the central section would be exclusively for through traffic while two adjacent side roads would provide local access.1 Stretches through Liverpool continue to use the original layout, whereas most of the other sections have been upgraded to dual carriageway in the 1950s and 1960s.
The first section of road to be completed was from Walton, Liverpool to the junction with the A6 at Irlams o' th' Height in Salford. The highway, which has an almost straight alignment with few curves, was completed within three years.
The second phase: to extend the road beyond Salford and into East Lancashire was never undertaken. It was eventually superseded by the construction of the M62 motorway beginning in 1960. The failure to complete the envisaged scheme was largely due to the road's planning. Both ends of the East Lancs began in high-density urban areas where there was no further infrastructure to aid rapid connection to the rest of the road network.
- "Early Highways Liverpool-East Lancashire Road A580". Historic Highways. Lancashire County Council. Archived from the original on 29 December 2007. Retrieved 2008-01-19.
|This England road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|