| A5072 road
The A583 runs from the A59 Ring Way in Preston city centre to Blackpool, terminating near the town's North Pier. It is a primary route, although there are non-primary sections in the town centres at both ends of the route.
The 13-mile (21 km) Clifton to Blackpool section of the A583 was formerly a privately owned toll road owned by the Clifton and De Hoghton estates. The tolls were abolished in 1902, when it became a main road as a result of an agreement made by Lancashire County Council and Fylde Rural District three years earlier which also saw the construction of new sections of road at Clifton and Blackpool.1
The increased use of private cars, buses and charabancs in the 1920s, and the poor condition of the road, made it one of Lancashire County Council's priorities in its road improvement schemes. The Blackpool to Clifton section of the road was reconstructed between 1929 and 1936, and as part of the reconstruction project bypasses were built to take the road around Kirkham and the centre of Clifton.1
|This England road or road transport-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|