|Province of Turkey|
|• Total||7,606.16 km2 (2,936.75 sq mi)|
|• Density||78/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Per capita income||9,283 TL (63rd; 2011)2|
Adıyaman Province (Turkish: Adıyaman ili; Kurdish: Adiyeman (parêzgeh)) is a province in south-central Turkey. The province was created in 1954 out of part of Malatya Province.3 Area 7,606.16 km². Population 590,935 (2010 est), up from 513,131 in 1990. The capital is Adıyaman. The area has been inhabited since the earliest times and many civilisations have settled here. There are therefore a number of places of historical interest which attract visitors. Nemrud Dağı is a major site of interest here, noted for its sanctuary of statues built by Antiochus Theos, king of Commagene. It is accessed through the town of Kâhta.
A branch of the large Atatürk reservoir lies between Adıyaman and the town of Samsat, and with more investment the irrigation this could become a rich agricultural zone. Currently it does feel impoverished and people travelling by mule or donkey are a common sight.
Until the 1950s Adıyaman was a city in the province of Malatya, but was made into a province in its own right, on 1 December 1954, as a reward for voting for the winning Democratic Party in the 1954 general election.3
Adıyaman has since been kind to Islamist politician, Necmettin Erbakan. His movement (then, the National Salvation Party) scored a landmark 15% here in 1973 a few years after its modest beginning, and his score went on to gradually increase. After being damaged by the military coup in 1980, Erbakan's party (which had become the Welfare Party) came back to win the province with 29.24% and 27% in 1994 and 1999, respectively.45
Mount Nemrut is a 2,134 m (7,001 ft) high mountain located in Adıyaman Province.
Adıyaman province is divided into 9 districts:
- Turkish Statistical Institute, MS Excel document – Population of province/district centers and towns/villages and population growth rate by provinces
- "İşte Türkiye'nin en zengin illeri" [Here is the richest provinces of Turkey]. Kuzey Ekspres Gazetesi (in Turkish). 2011-09-07. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "The Heritage of the Kingdom of Commagene - Adıyaman".
- "Adıyaman Seçim Sonuçları 1994" (in Turkish). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Adıyaman Seçim Sonuçları 1999" (in Turkish). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- "Adıyaman Seçim Sonuçları 2004" (in Turkish). Retrieved 8 September 2013.
- Khanam, R. (2005). Encyclopaedic Ethnography of Middle-East and Central Asia. A-I, V. 1. Global Vision Publishing House. p. 470. ISBN 9788182200623.