After Dark (Andy Gibb album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2007)|
|Studio album by Andy Gibb|
|Recorded||May, October & November 1979
Criteria Studios, Miami, Florida
|Genre||Post-disco, pop rock, pop, funk, R&B, soul|
Polydor Records (1998 reissue)
|Producer||Barry Gibb, Albhy Galuten, Karl Richardson|
|Andy Gibb chronology|
|Singles from After Dark|
After Dark is an album by Andy Gibb. It was his final studio album, and was released in 1980.
With drugs impeding his previous ability to write and even fully sing the tracks on his own record, Gibb was only able to forge his performance with nearly intrusive support from brother Barry. In March 1980 the last of Gibb's Top Ten singles charted just ahead of the album's release. "Desire" was originally recorded for the Bee Gees' 1979 album Spirits Having Flown but had Andy record new lead vocals replacing those of Barry's.23 A second single, "I Can't Help It", a duet with family friend Olivia Newton-John, reached the Top Twenty.
The album's poor performance, coupled with Gibb's mounting drug problems, would lead to RSO Records dropping Gibb from its roster. On VH1's Behind the Music, label founder Robert Stigwood said that he was heartbroken at having to make the decision to drop Gibb, but that his behaviour gave him very little choice.
Although the album is not currently in print, it was released to iTunes along with the other two Andy Gibb albums in 2011.
- "After Dark" (Barry Gibb) – 4:17
- "Desire" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 4:26
- "Wherever You Are" (Barry Gibb) – 4:27
- "Warm Ride" (Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb, Maurice Gibb) – 3:30
- "Rest Your Love on Me" (Duet with Olivia Newton-John) (Barry Gibb) – 4:53
- "I Can't Help It" (Duet with Olivia Newton-John) (Barry Gibb) – 4:07
- "One Love" (Barry Gibb, Andy Gibb) – 4:06
- "Someone I Ain't" (Barry Gibb, Andy Gibb) – 3:08
- "Falling in Love with You" (Barry Gibb, Albhy Galuten) – 4:12
- "Dreamin' On" (Barry Gibb) – 3:51
- Andy Gibb - vocals
- Barry Gibb - vocals, guitar, synthesizer, orchestral arrangement
- Olivia Newton-John - vocals on "Rest Your Love on Me" and "I Can"t Help It"
- Joey Murcia - guitar
- George Terry - guitar
- Tim Renwick - guitar
- Hugh McCracken - guitar
- George Bitzer - keyboards
- Harold Cowart - bass
- Ron Ziegler - drums
- Bernard Lupe - drums
- Joe Lala - percussion
- Tom Roadie - percussion
- Albhy Galuten - synthesizer, orchestral arrangement
- Michael Brecker - saxophone on "After Dark"
- Randy Brecker - trumpet on "After Dark"
- Gene Orloff - concertmaster
- Karl Richardson - engineer
- Dennis Hetzendorfer - engineer
- Peter Graves - horns
- Whit Sidener - horns
- Ken Faulk - horns
- Bill Purse - horns
- Neil Bonsanti - horns
- Don Bonsanti - horns
- Charles Chalmers - vocals
- Sandy Rhodes - vocals
- Donna Rhodes - vocals
|Norwegian Albums (VG-lista)4||21|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)5||23|
|US Billboard 2006||21|
|US R&B Albums (Billboard)6||67|
- Allmusic review
- Gibb Songs 1978
- Gibb Songs 1979
- "Andy Gibb – After Dark". Norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Andy Gibb – After Dark". Swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- After Dark - Andy Gibb. Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 16 November 2013.