American Canyon, California
|City of American Canyon|
|Nickname(s): Gateway to the Napa Valley
|Napa County and the state of California|
|• Mayor||Leon Garcia|
|• Total||4.845 sq mi (12.548 km2)|
|• Land||4.837 sq mi (12.527 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.021 km2) 0.17%|
|Elevation||46 ft (14 m)|
|• Density||4,000/sq mi (1,600/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||1668253|
American Canyon (previously known as Napa Junction3) is a city located in southern Napa County, California, 35 miles (56 km) northeast of San Francisco. It is part of the San Francisco Bay Area. The 2010 census reported the city's population at 19,454.4 Its zip code is 94503, and its area code is 707. It is in the Pacific Time time zone and observes daylight-saving time. The city was incorporated in 1992.
American Canyon is located at 5. American Canyon is bounded geographically by the Napa River to the west, the foothills of the Sulfur Springs Mountains to the east, Vallejo and Solano County to the south and vineyards and the Napa County Airport (IATA airport code APC) to the north. American Canyon Creek, a tributary of the Napa River, runs through the city.(38.168059, -122.252589)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12 km2), of which 99.83% is land and 0.17% is water.
American Canyon is the second most populous city in Napa County, after the City of Napa.
The 2010 United States Census6 reported that American Canyon had a population of 19,454. The population density was 4,015.4 people per square mile (1,550.4/km²). The racial makeup of American Canyon was 7,564 (38.9%) White, 1,535 (7.9%) African American, 142 (0.7%) Native American, 6,396 (32.9%) Asian, 176 (0.9%) Pacific Islander, 2,357 (12.1%) from other races, and 1,284 (6.6%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5,009 persons (25.7%).
The Census reported that 99.7% of the population lived in households and 0.3% lived in non-institutionalized group quarters.
There were 5,657 households, out of which 2,805 (49.6%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 3,527 (62.3%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 751 (13.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 335 (5.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 296 (5.2%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 42 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 765 households (13.5%) were made up of individuals and 309 (5.5%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.43. There were 4,613 families (81.5% of all households); the average family size was 3.78.
The population was spread out with 5,496 people (28.3%) under the age of 18, 1,764 people (9.1%) aged 18 to 24, 5,234 people (26.9%) aged 25 to 44, 5,095 people (26.2%) aged 45 to 64, and 1,865 people (9.6%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35.5 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
There were 5,982 housing units at an average density of 1,234.7 per square mile (476.7/km²), of which 78.5% were owner-occupied and 21.5% were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 3.8%. 77.4% of the population lived in owner-occupied housing units and 22.4% lived in rental housing units.
The 2000 census7 reported 9,774 people in the city, organized into 3,209 households and 2451 families. The U. S. Census Bureau reported the population of the city as 19,454 as of 2010, an increase of 99%.
The 2000 population density was 2,368.0 people per square mile (913.7/km²). There were 3274 housing units at an average density of 793.2 per square mile (306.1/km²).
There are 3209 households out of which 38.1% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.1% are married couples living together, 12.6% have a female householder with no husband present, and 23.6% are non-families. 18.7% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.3% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 3.0 and the average family size is 3.4.
In the city the population is spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 22.5% from 45 to 64, and 13.4% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 37 years. For every 100 females there are 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 92.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $52,105, and the median income for a family is $61,536. Males have a median income of $42,358 versus $29,211 for females. The per capita income for the city is $18,440. 8.8% of the population and 6.8% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 9.6% of those under the age of 18 and 10.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The mayor of American Canyon is popularly elected to a four-year term. The current mayor is Leon Garcia. City Council members are elected to four-year terms, and select one of their members to serve as Vice Mayor. The current Vice Mayor is Joan Bennett, and the other City Council members are Mark Joseph, Belia Ramos Bennett and Kenneth Leary. Leon Garcia is serving his fourth term as mayor.
Correction: FYI, Ben Anderson was elected to the first council, however, he was not the first Mayor. Tom Orlando was the first Mayor.
- AmCan park not open, but patrons are still playing - Vallejo Times Herald
- U.S. Census
- Former name of American Canyon; SCT - Shopping Centers Today Online
- Noonan, James (March 9, 2011). "U.S. Census: AmCan doubled in size, Upvalley cities lost population". Napa Valley Register (Napa, California). p. 1. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Private-sector employers -- Napa County
- Waterson, Michael (September 15, 2011). "Mezzetta may forget about American Canyon expansion". Napa Valley Register (Napa, CA: Lee Enterprises, Inc.). Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- "California's 5th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
- City of American Canyon website
- American Canyon Chamber of Commerce website
- American Canyon LIVE website
- American Canyon Online