|Look up Americana or americana in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Americana refers to artifacts, or a collection of artifacts, related to the history, geography, folklore and cultural heritage of the United States.12 Many kinds of material fall within the definition of Americana: paintings, prints and drawings; license plates or entire vehicles, household objects, tools and weapons; flags, plaques and statues, and so on. Patriotism and nostalgia play defining roles in the subject. The things involved need not be old, but need to have the appropriate associations. The term may be used to describe the theme of a museum or collection,34 or of goods for sale.5
The term can also be used to describe studies of American culture, especially studies based in other countries.6 Americana music is contemporary music that incorporates elements of various American roots music styles, including country, roots-rock, folk, bluegrass and blues, resulting in a distinctive roots-oriented sound.7 8
In some Romance languages (including Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Catalan and Italian), Americana is the feminine noun or adjective referring to American women or inanimate objects declined in the feminine gender, and is translated into English simply as American.
- Definition in Merriam Webster dictionary
- Definition in dictionary.com
- Princeton Collections of Western Americana
- University of Cincinnati German-Americana collection
- 'Americana' styled modern hardware
- 'Americana', the E-Journal of American Studies in Hungary
- Shriver, Jerry (31). "Grammys will be putting Americana on the map". USA Today.
- "2011 Grammy Category Descriptions". Retrieved 18 December 2012.
|This culture-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|