9 November 1948 |
|Spouse(s)||Pernilla August (m. 1991–97)
Sara-Marie Maltha (????–present)
Bille August (born 9 November 1948) is a Danish Academy Award-winning film and television director. His film Pelle the Conqueror from 1987 won the Palme d'Or, Academy Award and Golden Globe. He is one of only six directors to win the Palme d'Or twice, winning the prestigious award again in 1992 for The Best Intentions, based on the autobiographical script by Ingmar Bergman. He was married to Swedish actress Pernilla August from 1991 to 1997. His son Anders August is a screenwriter.
On 23 September 2011, Bille August announced that he had opened his studio in Hangzhou, China and taken a position as Tianpeng Media's Art Director, aiming to produce Chinese films for Tianpeng Media over the next few years. Tianpeng Media is a new media company established in 2010. The company so far has produced two films, The Women Knight of Mirror (竞雄女侠秋瑾) and The Years of Qi Xiao Fu (七小福之燃情岁月), which will be released later this year. Bille is the first foreign director to be hired by the Chinese film company. Recently, August also accepted the invitation from the Hangzhou government to serve as a "culture consultant" for the city.1
- Honning måne (1978, In My Life)
- Verden er så stor, så stor (1980)
- TV Movie
- Maj (1982)
- TV Movie
- Zappa (1983)
- Busters verden (1984, Buster's world)
- based on the book by Danish writer Bjarne Reuter
- Tro, håb og kærlighed (1984, Twist and Shout). Entered into the 14th Moscow International Film Festival.6
- sequel to Zappa
- Pelle Erobreren (1987, Pelle the Conqueror)
- Den goda viljan (1991, The Best Intentions)
- The House of the Spirits (1993)
- The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (1993) Two episodes
- Vienna, November 1908 (Season 2, Episode 9)
- Northern Italy, June 1918 (Season 2, Episode 10)
- Jerusalem (1996)
- based on a novel by the Swedish author Selma Lagerlöf.
- Smilla's Sense of Snow (1997)
- Les Misérables (1998)
- En sang for Martin (2001, A Song for Martin)
- Return to Sender (2005)
- Goodbye Bafana (2007)
- won the Cinema for Peace 2007 Best Director Award
- The Passion of Marie (2012)
- Night Train to Lisbon (2013)
- "Academy Award-winning director Bille August opens his studio in Hangzhou". Asia Pacific arts. 10/04/2011.
- "Berlinale 2013: Competition Now Complete". berlinale. Retrieved 2013-01-25.
- "11th Moscow International Film Festival (1979)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Festival de Cannes: Zappa". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-06-20.
- "13th Moscow International Film Festival (1983)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "14th Moscow International Film Festival (1985)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Festival de Cannes: Pelle the Conqueror". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- "Pelle Erobreren (1987)". Swedish Film Institute. 15 March 2014.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Best Intentions". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-08-14.
- "Berlinale: 1997 Programme". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
- 1997 interview with Bille August about Smilla's Sense of Snow
- Bille August at the Internet Movie Database
- Bille August at the Swedish Film Database
- Works by or about Bille August in libraries (WorldCat catalog)