British Leeward Islands
|British Leeward Islands|
"God Save the Queen"
|-||1952-1960 (last)||Elizabeth II|
|-||1956–1958 (last)||Alexander Thomas Williams|
|-||West Indies Federation||1958|
|-||Federation dissolved||31 May 1962|
|-||1958||1,047 km² (404 sq mi)|
The British Leeward Islands was a British colony existing between 1833 and 1960, and consisting of Antigua, Barbuda, the British Virgin Islands, Montserrat, Saint Kitts, Nevis, Anguilla and (to 1940) Dominica.
The previous colony of the Leeward Islands had existed since 1671, but in 1816 it was divided in two, with Antigua, Barbuda and Montserrat in one colony, and Saint Christopher, Nevis, Anguilla, and the Virgin Islands in another.
The British Leeward Islands was reformed in 1833, with the Governor of Antigua serving as Governor until 1871. The colony became known as the Federal Colony of the Leeward Islands from 1871 to 1956 and the Territory of the Leeward Islands from 1956 to 1960.
The "Leeward Islands" is still the title of one of the Caribbean first-class cricket sides.
The British Leeward Islands all used postage stamps inscribed "LEEWARD ISLANDS" between 1890 and 1 July 1956, often concurrently with stamps inscribed with the colony's name; for more detail, see postage stamps and postal history of the Leeward Islands.
- List of Governors of the British Leeward Islands
- British Windward Islands
- History of the British West Indies
- Leeward Islands
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- WorldStatesmen- see each present country
- Leeward Islands - Flag