C'est la vie, mon chéri
|C'est la vie, mon chéri|
|Mandarin||Xīn bùliǎo qíng|
|Directed by||Derek Yee|
|Produced by||Alexander Chan
|Written by||Derek Yee|
|Music by||Chris Babida
William Woo Wai-lap
|Editing by||Mei Feng|
|Running time||105 minutes|
C'est la vie, mon chéri (Chinese: 新不了情; pinyin: Xīn bùliǎo qíng) is a 1994 Hong Kong movie directed by Derek Yee Tung-Shing and starring Anita Yuen, Lau Ching-Wan and Carina Lau. It won six awards, including Best Picture, during the 13th Hong Kong Film Awards.
The movie is sometimes referred to as C'est la vie, mon chérie even though this is grammatically incorrect in French (either "mon chéri" for a man or "ma chérie" for a woman is grammatically correct). The title may be roughly translated as "That's life, my darling/love".
The original Chinese title refers to the classic 1961 Hong Kong film Love Without End (不了情) starring Lin Dai, with the word "new" (新) added in front of it. The storyline is similar, in that the female lead character is also diagnosed with a fatal illness.
An alternative English title is Endless Love.
Min (Anita Yuen), who is part of a Cantonese street opera troupe and a part-time cover artiste, meets Kit (Lau Ching-Wan), a struggling jazz musician who has just broken up with his celebrity singer girlfriend (Carina Lau). Through her bubbly personality, she affects Kit for the better. However, just as their relationship begins to stabilize and win acceptance from Min's family, which includes a strict mother and a doting, saxophone-playing uncle, Min is re-diagnosed with bone cancer, which she had once suffered as a young child.
- Won: Best Picture
- Won: Best Director (Derek Yee)
- Won: Best Actress (Anita Yuen)
- Won: Best Supporting Actress (Petrina Fung)
- Won: Best Supporting Actor (Paul Chun)
- Won: Best Screenplay (Derek Yee)
- Nominated: Best Actor (Lau Ching-Wan)
- Nominated: Best Supporting Actress (Carrie Ng)
- Nominated: Best Art Direction
- Nominated: Best Costume Makeup Design
- Nominated: Best Original Film Music
- Nominated: Best Original Film Song
- Nominated: Best Director
- Nominated: Best Original Screenplay
- Nominated: Best Actress
- Nominated: Best Supporting Actress
- Nominated: Best Supporting Actor
- Nominated: Best Film Music
- Jacob Cheung - Fortune teller
- Paul Chun - Uncle / Cheung Po-Tsai
- Bo-Bo Fung - Min's mother
- Joe Junior - Cover singer
- Carina Lau - Tracy
- Lau Ching-Wan - Kit
- Tats Lau - Tats
- Jamie Luk - Blacky
- Carrie Ng - Ling
- Herman Yau - Man in club
- Anita Yuen - Min
- Sylvia Chang - Deputy of hospital (uncredited)
- Wan Fang: 新不了情 "Endless love"
- Bo-Bo Fung: 念情 "Nian qing"
- Film score: 晨街 "Morning street"
- Film score: 忆儿时 "Childhood memories"
- Li Fong: 摇红烛 "Shaking the red candle"
- Wan Fang: 给我一个吻 "Give me a kiss"
- Wan Fang: 不了情 "Love without end"
- Film score: 爱芽初萌 "Shoots of a budding love"
- Film score: IN THE MOOD
- Ju Jun Li Ya and Deng Jie Ling: 载歌载舞/诈肚痛 "Singing, dancing | Fake abdominal pain" (Cantonese)
- Li Fong: 补镬佬 "Remedial guy" (Cantonese)
- Film score: 返家 "Back Home"
- Bo-Bo Fung: 黎明在望 "Dawn is in sight" (Cantonese)
|Awards and achievements|
|Hong Kong Film Awards for Best Film