Caumsett State Historic Park
Marshall Field, III, Estate
Caumsett State Park Preserve
|Location||Lloyd Harbor Rd., Lloyd Harbor, New York|
|Area||1,400 acres (570 ha)|
|Architect||Pope,John Russell; Holden,McLaughlin & Associates|
|Architectural style||English Revival|
|NRHP Reference #||790016331|
|Added to NRHP||April 30, 1979|
Caumsett State Historic Park Preserve is on Lloyd Neck, a peninsula extending into Long Island Sound, in the village of Lloyd Harbor, New York.2 Lloyd Neck was originally part of Queens County, New York.3
Marshall Field III bought the property in 1921 and had an estate house built in 1925, one of the largest estates of the Gold Coast Mansions.2 It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.1 The Marshall Field III estate was purchased by New York State for $4 million on February 3, 1961 and became a state park.4
In May 1961, plans were made to create Caumsett State Parkway, a northern extension of Bethpage State Parkway, to provide access to the park.5 Although right-of-way was acquired, the parkway was never built.6 A portion of this land was later used to create Cold Spring Harbor State Park, and Trail View State Park.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Kennedy, Karen Morey (January 5, 1979). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Marshall Field, III, Estate (Caumsett) / Caumsett State Park". Retrieved 2008-02-28. and Accompanying 16 photos, exterior and interior, from 1975 and 1976
- "Beers' Atlas of Long Island". 1873. Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- "STATE PARK UNIT BUYS L.I. ESTATE; 1,426-Acre Marshall Field Property at Lloyds Neck Sold for 4 Million". The New York Times. February 4, 1961. p. 21. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- "PARKWAY TO LEAD TO NEW L.I. PARK; Proposed Route to Service Former Field Estate". The New York Times. May 21, 1961. p. 46. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- Cerra, Frances (January 18, 1987). "Blazing a New Trail in the Wilds of Nassau". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-16.
- Official website
- Caumsett Foundation
- Caumsett Bird Conservation Area
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. NY-6107, "Caumsett Manor, Lloyd Neck, Lloyd Harbor, Suffolk County, NY", 18 photos, 1 color transparency, 3 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
- HABS No. NY-6107-A, "Caumsett Manor, Winter Cottage", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. NY-6107-B, "Caumsett Manor, Polo Stables", 4 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. NY-6107-C, "Caumsett Manor, Guernsey Farm", 2 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. NY-6107-D, "Caumsett Manor, Garage", 1 photo, 1 photo caption page
|This article about a historic property or district in Suffolk County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|