Ceramus

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Ceramus or Keramos (Greek: Κέραμος) was a city on the north coast of the Ceramic Gulf—named for this city—in Caria, in southwest Asia Minor; its ruins can be found outside the modern village of Ören, Muğla Province, Turkey.

Ceramus, initially subjected to Stratonicea, afterwards autonomous, was a member of the Athenian League and was one of the chief cities of the Chrysaorian League (Bulletin de corresp. hellén., IX, 468). In ancient times, it probably had a temple of Zeus Chrysaoreus. In Roman times, it coined its own money.

Ecclesiastical history

Ceramus is mentioned in the Notitiae Episcopatuum until the 12th or 13th century as a bishopric suffragan to Aphrodisias, or Stauropolis. Three bishops are known: Spudasius, who attended the First Council of Ephesus in 431; Maurianus, who attended the Council of Nicaea in 787; and Symeon, who attended the council in Constantinople that reinstated Photius in 879.

Ceramus is included in the Catholic Church's list of titular sees.1

References

  1. ^ Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2013, ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), p. 866

External links

 This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domainHerbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company. 









Creative Commons License