Telecommunications in Azerbaijan
Republic of Azerbaijan
|Mobile lines (2011):||10,120,0001|
The Azerbaijan economy has been markedly stronger in recent years and, not surprisingly, the country has been making progress in developing ICT sector. Nonetheless, it still faces problems. These include poor infrastructure and an immature telecom regulatory regime. The Ministry of Communications & Information Technologies (MCIT), as well as being an operator through its role in Aztelekom, is both a policy-maker and regulator.
Telephone system: Azerbaijan's telephone system is a combination of old Soviet era technology used by Azerbaijani citizens and small- to medium-size commercial establishments, and modern cellular telephones used by an increasing middle class, large commercial ventures, international companies, and most government officials; the average citizen waits on a 200,000-person list for telephone service; Internet and e-mail service are available in all major cities and some remote towns.
general assessment:' inadequate; requires considerable expansion and modernization; teledensity of 15 main lines per 100 persons is low; mobile-cellular penetration is increasing and is currently about 50 telephones per 100 persons.
domestic: local - the majority of telephones are in Baku or other industrial centers - about 700 villages still do not have public telephone service; intercity; all long distance service must use Azertel's (Ministry of Communications) lines; satellite service connects Baku to a modern switch in its separated enclave of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
international: the old Soviet system of cable and microwave is still serviceable; satellite service between Baku and Turkey provides access to 200 countries; additional satellite providers supply services between Baku and specific countries; Azerbaijan is a signator of the Trans-Asia-Europe Fiber-Optic Line (TAE); their lines are not laid but a Turkish satellite and a microwave link between Azerbaijan and Iran could provide Azerbaijan worldwide access
Radio broadcast stations:
- ARAZ - FM 103.3
- Antenn - FM 101 MHz
- ANS ChM - FM 102 MHz
- Space - FM 104 MHz
- Media FM - FM 105.5 MHz
- Azad Azerbaijan FM - FM 106 MHz
- Lider - FM 107 MHz
- Radios: 175,000 (1997)
- Television broadcast stations: 7 (2005) 4 more ordered for 2006 and 2007 
- Televisions: 170,000 (1997)
- Internet Service Providers (ISPs): 15 (2005) 29 (2009)
- Country code: AZE
- Internet TLD: .az
- Internet Hosts: 46,856 (2011)1
- country comparison to the world: 981
- Internet Users: 2.420,000 (2009)1
- country comparison to the world: 701
- Internet Penetration: 8.47% (2005)
- Sidorenko, Alexey: "The Internet in Azerbaijan" in the Caucasus Analytical Digest No. 15
- Kazimova, Arifa: "Media in Azerbaijan: The Ruling Family Dominates TV, the Opposition Has Some Papers" in the Caucasus Analytical Digest No. 25
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the CIA World Factbook.