Contoocook, New Hampshire
|Contoocook, New Hampshire|
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.1 km2)|
|• Land||2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||364 ft (111 m)|
|• Density||600/sq mi (240/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0866311|
Contoocook is named after the Contoocook River that runs through it. The name Contoocook came from the Pennacook tribe of Native Americans and means "place of the river near pines". Other variations of the name include the Abenaki meaning "nut trees river" or Natick language meaning "small plantation at the river".34 In previous centuries the area was known as "Contoocookville". It is the birthplace of Civil War naval officer George H. Perkins. His daughter Isabel Weld Perkins and his son-in-law Larz Anderson maintained Perkins Manor as one of several summer homes.
In describing the approach to Perkins Manor one commentator writes:
"In passing up the Concord and Claremont Railroad from Concord, the observant traveler has doubtless noticed the substantial and comfortable-looking homestead with large and trim front yard, shaded by thickly planted and generous topped maples, on the right-hand side of the road after crossing the bridge that spans 'Contoocook's bright and brimming river' at the pleasant-looking village of Contoocookville in the northern part of Hopkinton."5
Contoocook is located at 6(43.223588, -71.714627).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), of which 2.3 sq mi (6.0 km2) is land and 0.1 sq mi (0.26 km2) (4.24%) is water.
As of the census7 of 2010, there were 1,444 people, 610 households, and 397 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 627.8 people per square mile (244.7/km²). There were 638 housing units at an average density of 277.4 per square mile (108.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.9% White, 0.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.3% Asian, 0.1% some other race, and 0.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.2
There were 610 households out of which 30.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.1% were headed by married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 34.9% were non-families. 28.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.2% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37, and the average family size was 2.92.2
In the CDP the population was spread out with 23.1% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 20.7% from 25 to 44, 32.1% from 45 to 64, and 17.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45.0 years. For every 100 females there were 100.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.9 males.2
For the period 2008-2012, the estimated median annual income for a household in the CDP was $86,545, and the median income for a family was $89,403. Male full-time workers had a median income of $49,328 versus $48,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $33,261.8
- New Hampshire Employment Security, , Hopkinton NH Community Profile
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Contoocook CDP, New Hampshire". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 7, 2014.
- Coolidge, Austin J.; John B. Mansfield (1859). A History and Description of New England. Boston, Massachusetts. pp. 424–426.
- Day, Gordon M.; Michael K. Foster and William Cowan (1998). In Search of New England's Native Past. United States of America. pp. 61–64.
- The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Bay State Monthly
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2008-2012 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Contoocook CDP, New Hampshire". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 7, 2014.