Dennis E. Williams
- Not to be confused with Dennis P. Williams, the Delaware state representative from the north Wilmington-based 1st district.
|Dennis E. Williams|
|Member of the Delaware House of Representatives
from the 10th district
January 6, 2009
|Preceded by||Robert Valihura|
|Born||April 7, 1959|
|Alma mater||University of Delaware|
Growing up in Cardiff, Williams attended Shipley Elementary, Springer Junior High School, Concord High School, and graduated from the University of Delaware with a dual major in Accounting and Financial Management. Williams also enrolled at the University of Pennsylvania, gaining a Master’s of Science in Engineering with a major in Technology Management in 2008.1
Spending 25 years in finance management, during which he was Budget Director for Sikorsky Helicopters and Controller for Atlantic Aviation, Williams is now Corporate Controller for Nielsen-Kellerman Co., a manufacturing company specializing in weather and sport performance devices.1
Fourteen years before his victory in the 10th district, Williams was the candidate for the seat at the 1994 state elections, having defeated Cliff Werline 965 to 627 in the Democratic primary.2 In the general election, he lost 29% to incumbent Republican Jane Maroney's 71%.3 In 1996, Williams ran in the Democratic primary for the election for Delaware's congressional district, defeating Ernest Ercole 16838 to 5941 and winning all counties and the city of Wilmington by wide margins.4 However, he ended up being defeated by two-term Republican incumbent Mike Castle in the November general election by 70% to 27%. He was selected to face Castle again in 1998, failing for a second time in a bid for the U.S. House of Representatives by a slightly closer margin of defeat.5n 1 In 2004, he ran again in the 10th, losing 40% to three-term incumbent Republican Robert Valihura's 57%.6
Deciding to give the 10th another go, Williams was unopposed in the 2008 Democratic primary to face Valihura once more. His campaign was built around 'fiscal responsibility, economic development, education, senior citizens, and constituent services'.7 In what was described as 'one of election night’s biggest upsets', Williams went on to defeat Valihura 51% to 49%, aided by an increased number of registered Democrats compared to years past, coupled with a higher Democratic turnout owing to the concurrent U.S. presidential election.8 Williams ran for re-election in 2010, securing a massive majority in the Democratic primary against an opponent who said he secured re-nomination on an environmental and base-pleasing platform,9 and upped his share of the vote from 2008 to win the general election.10
He is co-chair of the Economic Development/Banking/Insurance/Commerce, and Energy committees. He is also a member on the Housing & Community Affairs, Labor, Natural Resources, and Revenue & Finance committees.11 In the 2009-2010 legislative season, Williams received a score of 83% from the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce, 40% from the Delaware National Federation of Independent Business, and an F from the NRA.12 Williams is running for re-election in 2012.
- Williams's policy positions in 1998 can be explored here: Dennis E. Williams's Political Courage Test
- "Williams biography". Dennis E. Williams. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Cook, Thomas J. (1994). State of Delaware: 1994 Election Results. Commissioner of Elections for the State of Delaware. p. 21.
- Cook. State of Delaware: 1994 Election Results. p. 5.
- Cook, Thomas J. (1996). State of Delaware: 1996 Election Results. Commissioner of Elections for the State of Delaware. p. 25.
- "1998 General Election". ommissioner of Elections for the State of Delaware. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "2004 General Election". Commissioner of Elections for the State of Delaware. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Profile: Dennis Williams (D) for 10th Representative District". CommunityPub. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Chadderdon, Jesse (6 November 2008). "Williams scores surprise win in 10th House District". CommunityPub. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Lamar, Andre (14 September 2010). "Williams trumps Dargis in 10th Rep. District Primary". CommunityPub. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- Lamar, Andre (4 November 2008). "Dennis Williams edges Rhodunda in 10th House District". CommunityPub. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Committee Assignments". Delaware General Assembly. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Representative Dennis E. Williams's Special Interest Group Ratings". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved 20 July 2012.