This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (August 2012)
Click [show] on the right to read important instructions before translating.
View a machine-translated version of the German article.
Google's machine translation is a useful starting point for translations, but translators must revise errors as necessary and confirm that the translation is accurate, rather than simply copy-pasting machine-translated text into the English Wikipedia.
Do not translate text that appears unreliable or low-quality. If possible, verify the text with references provided in the foreign-language article.
Fortified by the emperor Henry V, Dinkelsbühl received in 1305 the same municipal rights as Ulm, and obtained in 1351 the position of a Free Imperial City. Its municipal code, the Dinkelsbühler Recht, published in 1536, and revised in 1738, contained a very extensive collection of public and private laws.
Around 1534 the majority of the population of Dinkelsbühl became Protestant.2
Thirty Years War
Every summer Dinkelsbühl celebrates the city's surrender to Swedish Troops during the Thirty Years' War. This reenactment is played out by many of the town's residents. It features a whole array of Swedish troops attacking the city gate and children dressed in traditional garb coming to witness the event. Paper cones full of chocolate and candy are given as gifts to children. This historical event is called the "Kinderzeche" and can in some aspects be compared with the "Meistertrunk" in Rothenburg. The name is derived from the German word for "child", and is called such because of the legend that a child saved the town from massacre by the Swedish Troops during the surrender. The legend tells that when the Swedish army besieged the town, a teenage girl took the children for begging the general for mercy. The Swedish general had recently lost his young son to illness, and a boy who approached him so closely resembled his own son that he decided to spare the town.
The World Wars
Remarkably, Dinkelsbühl remained totally unscathed, except for a broken window in St. George's Minster.citation needed
Dinkelsbühl is still surrounded by the old medieval walls and towers. There exist a lot of outstanding attractions. The image of this town is very typical for a German town of the 15th to early 17th century.
St. George's Minster is a beautiful masterpiece of the gothic style in the late 15th century ( by Nikolaus Eseler )
St. Paul's, now a Protestant church, was rebuilt in the 19th century in the style of the far late Roman architectural style. It was originally part of a monastery.
The Castle of the Teutonic Order, it has a rococo chapel.
The so-called Deutsches Haus, is the ancestral home of the counts of Drechsel-Deufstetten. It is a fine specimen of the German renaissance style of wooden architecture.
Situated in front of the Minster is a monument to Christoph von Schmid (1768–1854), a 19th-century writer of stories for the young.
Museum of the 3rd Dimension, It is housed in the former city mill.
The Historical Museum, showed historical discoveries found within Dinkelsbühl and also has reconstructions of the ancient houses of the city. Since 2008, the museum has had a new domicile in the so-called "Steinerne Haus" from the 14th century. The official name is now: "house of history". While many of the artifacts are the same, the presentation is completely new.
The church of St. Vincent, which is 2 km outside the city.