Distinguished Service Cross (Australia)
|Distinguished Service Cross|
|Awarded by Australia|
|Eligibility||Members of the Australian Defence Force|
|Awarded for||Distinguished command and leadership in action|
|Last awarded||2013 Queen's Birthday Honours|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Star of Courage|
|Next (lower)||Member of the Order of Australia|
|Related||Distinguished Service Medal
Commendation for Distinguished Service
Ribbon of the Distinguished Service Cross and Bar
The Distinguished Service Cross (DSC) is a military decoration awarded to personnel of the Australian Defence Force. It is awarded for distinguished command and leadership in action. The DSC was introduced in 1991 and is the highest distinguished service decoration in the Australian Honours System. Recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross are entitled to use the post-nominal letters "DSC".2 Since its inception 81 awards have been made—which includes three Bars—with the most recent being announced in the 2012 Queen's Birthday Honours List.
The Government of Australia may grant an allowance to veterans or serving members of the Australian Defence Force who have been awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, or other awards for gallantry. At November 2007, this allowance was A$2.10 per fortnight.3
The Distinguished Service Cross is described as: "...a modified Maltese Cross of nickel-silver ensigned with the Crown of St Edward. The obverse bears a Federation Star surmounted on a disc of flames. The medal has a nickel-silver suspender bar. The medal ribbon has a central ochre-red stripe surrounded by narrower silver-blue stripes."2
- Australian Honours Order of Precedence
- Category:Recipients of the Distinguished Service Cross (Australia)
- Medal Yearbook 2014. Honiton, Devon: Token. 2014. p. 390. ISBN 978-1-908828-10-1.
- "Distinguished Service Cross". Commonwealth of Australia. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
- "Veteran's Entitlements Act 1986 - Sect 102". Commonwealth Consolidated Acts. Australasian Legal Information Institute. Retrieved 17 November 2007.