|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2008)|
|— Department —|
|Prefecture building of the Doubs department, in Besançon|
|• President of the General Council||Claude Jeannerot (PS)|
|• Total||5,234 km2 (2,021 sq mi)|
|• Density||95/km2 ( 250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|^1 French Land Register data, which exclude estuaries, and lakes, ponds, and glaciers larger than 1 km2|
As early as the 13th century, inhabitants of the northern two-thirds of Doubs spoke the Franc-Comtois language, a dialect of Langue d'Oïl. Residents of the southern third of Doubs spoke a dialect of the Arpitan language. Both languages co-existed with French, the official language of law and commerce, and continued to be spoken frequently in rural areas into the 20th century. They are both still spoken today but not on a daily basis.
Doubs is one of the original 83 departments created during the French Revolution on 4 March 1790. It was created from part of the former province of Franche-Comté. The prefecture (capital) is Besançon.
In 1793, the republic of Mandeure was annexed by France and incorporated into the department. This district was passed between various territories and departments in the ensuing administrative reorganisations and wars, but was restored to Doubs in 1816 when the former principality of Montbéliard was also added to the department.
|Union for a Popular Movement||13|
The inhabitants of the department are called Doubistes.
The Doubs department is at the same time the greenest and the most industrialized in France.
It is the birthplace of the automotive manufacturer Peugeot.
- Hoffmann, Michael, Die französischen Konservativen in der katholischen Provinz Parteigenese und politische Kultur im Doubs (1900-1930) (Frankfurt am Main u.a., Peter Lang, 2008) (Moderne Geschichte und Politik, 22).
|Wikisource has the text of the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica article Doubs (department).|
- Arrondissements of the Doubs department
- Cantons of the Doubs department
- Communes of the Doubs department