The Elwood Bar was built in 1936 at 2100 Woodward Avenue (on the corner of Woodward and Elizabeth) in Detroit, Michigan and is now located at 300 Adams. The name comes from a combination of the cross streets: (El)izabeth and (Wood)ward.2 The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.1
The Elwood, designed by Charles Noble, is an excellent Detroit example of Art Moderne Style.3 Designed for a corner lot, the two facades are covered with cream and blue enameled steel. The building is a single story, but a cylindrical tower extends above the corner entrance.3 The tower is decorated with blue stripes and geometric design. This design, as well as neon signage, extends to the rest of the exterior of the building.3
In 1997, construction of Comerica Park (the Detroit Tigers stadium) threatened the Elwood, and the Bar was moved to its present location at 300 Adams (on the corner of Adams and Brush).2 The building underwent a complete restoration at that time, and is now open as "Elwood Bar and Grill," catering to visitors attending games at the nearby Comerica Park and Ford Field.