"The Last Great Hamburger Stand"
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Industry||Fast food restaurants|
|Founded||Los Angeles, California, U.S. (1947)|
|Headquarters||Beverly Hills, California, U.S.|
|Number of locations||120 + Worldwide|
Andrew Wiederhorn (Chairman & CEO)Donald J. Berchtold (President & COO)
|Products||Burgers, french fries, soft drinks, milkshakes|
|Parent||Fog Cutter Capital Group|
Fatburger Inc. is a fast casual restaurant chain. Its tagline is The Last Great Hamburger Stand. While it is a fast food restaurant, the food is cooked and made to order. Some Fatburger restaurants have a liquor license. Its headquarters are in Beverly Hills, California.
In addition to the United States, the chain operates in over 29 other countries.
Fatburger was founded by Lovie Yancey in Los Angeles, California in 1947. It was originally named "Mr. Fatburger," but Yancey dropped the honorific in 1952. At that time she bought out her start-up partners and retained ownership until 1990, keeping only the original store on Western Avenue for herself.1
Fatburger remained mostly a California chain until the late 1990s, when it began an expansion in North America. On August 15, 2003, Fog Cutter Capital Group completed a $6 million investment and financing package for the company. As of 2011[update] Fatburger operates or franchises 101 restaurants, and Fog Cutter has announced the company will open 30 more in 2011.2 For several months in 2006, the company was barred from selling additional franchises in California.3
In January 2013, Fatburger opened its first branch in Karachi, Pakistan.5 Owing to the success of the burgers and positive response by Pakistanis, Fatburger opened its biggest flagship outlet globally on June, 2013 in Lahore.6
Former professional basketball player Magic Johnson, through Johnson Development Corporation, was one of the owners of the parent company.7 Former talk show host Montel Williams co-owns several Fatburger restaurants in Colorado.8 Bay Area rapper E-40 also had a stake in the company as a franchise owner, by opening the first San Francisco Bay Area Fatburger restaurant in Pleasant Hill, which is now closed.9 Queen Latifah also at one point partnered with Fatburger.10
In 2007, Rapper Kanye West's restaurant company. KW Foods LLC, struck a deal to open up to 10 Fatburger restaurants in Chicago.11Ultimately, in 2009, only two locations actually opened. In February 2011, West shut down the Fatburger located in Orland Park.12 Later in 2011 the remaining Beverly location also was shuttered.13 Hip-hop musician Pharrell, in partnership with Fatburger, opened several Fatburger restaurants in China in 2007 and 2008.14
Fatburger's menu offers patties of varying size (small to large) and in varying quantity (XXL for a two large patties, XXXL for three large patties). Add-ons, sides, and drinks are available at an extra cost.15
- McClellan, Marisa (2008-01-26). "Fatburger founder dies at the age of 96". Slashfood. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- Jeff Manning, "Wiederhorn to get rid of The Ivy: The scandal-linked executive decides to sell one of his last ties to Portland", The Oregonian, 28 July 2011, p. A1+
- Sparks, Janet (December 1, 2006). "Has Fatburger Resolved Its Nasty Little Problem?". Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- Arizona Diamondbacks Score Big on Fatburger Franchise Retrieved on March 16, 2011
-  "Fatburger opens in Karachi"
-  "For Fatburger, Lahore’s ‘flagship’ outlet will be a trendsetter"
- Fatbuger facts, Magic Johnson Owner of parent Company
- TV Show Host Montel Williams Buys into Fatburger Franchise
- Current location of Fatburger Headquarters
- Kanye West Buys Rights To 10 Fatburger Restaurants. HipHopDx, November 23, 2010.
- Kayne West Brings Fatburger to Chicago
- "Kanye West Shuts Down His Chicago Fatburger Restaurant". Starpulse.com. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2013-03-03.
- New York Post http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/cutting_the_fat_HUFwaRqz4g9IIIsi6oUeBL
|url=missing title (help).
- Hip Hop Music Mogul Deals Fatburger as an Investment
- "Fatburger - Burger Weekly". Burger Weekly. October 16, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.