Fort Bellefontaine

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Upper Mississippi River during the War of 1812. 1: Fort Bellefontaine U.S. headquarters; 2: Fort Osage, abandoned 1813; 3: Fort Madison, defeated 1813; 4: Fort Shelby, defeated 1814; 5: Battle of Rock Island Rapids, July 1814 and the Battle of Credit Island, Sept. 1814; 6: Fort Johnson, abandoned 1814; 7: Fort Cap au Gris and the Battle of the Sink Hole, May 1815.

Fort Bellefontaine was the first United States military installation in the Louisiana Territory.

Located on the south bank of the Missouri River, in present-day Missouri, Fort Bellefontaine was first a Spanish military post.1 After the Louisiana Purchase, by a treaty made between the United States Government, signed by William H. Harrison and representatives of the Native American Sac and Fox tribes (on November 3, 1804), the fort became a fur trading post of the United States Government. Rudolf Tiller served as factor and Col. Thomas Hunt served as first in command.

The trading post was discontinued after 1808, and from 1809 to 1826 the facility served as a United States military fort. During that time period, from about 1809 to 1815, the fort served as the headquarters of the Department of Louisiana, and was the regional Army headquarters during the War of 1812. Its sister forts were Fort Osage along the Missouri near modern Kansas City, which controlled trade with western Indians; and Fort Madison in what is now Iowa, which controlled trade of the Upper Mississippi.

References

  1. ^ Luttig, John C., and edited by Stella Madeleine Drumm, Journal of a Fur-trading Expedition on the Upper Missouri: 1812-1813. Kansas City, MO: The Missouri Historical Society, 1920

External links


Coordinates: 38°49′39″N 90°12′56″W / 38.8274°N 90.2155°W / 38.8274; -90.2155









Creative Commons License