Frank J. Urioste
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013)|
Frank Joseph Urioste (born 1938) is an American film editor with about 30 film credits. He has been nominated three times for the Academy Award for Film Editing, for RoboCop (directed by Paul Verhoeven-1987), Die Hard (directed by John McTiernan-1988), and Basic Instinct (directed by Paul Verhoeven-1992).
Urioste began his career driving trucks of film at MGM. His talent was soon recognized and he became an assistant editor on the film, The Four Horseman of the Apocalypse and began working steadily on the film the Dirty Dozen, during which the director Robert Aldrich became his mentor. Other major influences in his life and career include his father, Frank T. Urioste, his uncle, William (Bill) Saracino and Ralph Winters. Winters and Urioste worked together on the films Ben Hur and famously, The Battle of Midway.
During the 70's and 80's, Urioste worked on films including The Boys in Company C, Fast Break, The Jazz Singer, The Entity and Conan the Destroyer. However it would be the cult film The Hitcher which would bring him much notice, especially from Dutch director Paul Verhoeven, whom he would work with on the films Basic Instinct, RoboCop and Total Recall.
In addition to his work as an editor, Urioste served on the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences from 1994 to 1997. Since 1998, Urioste has served as Senior Vice President in the Feature Development department at Warner Bros. Pictures.1
The director and release year for each film are indicated in parenthesis.
- What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (Katzin-1969)
- The Grissom Gang (Aldrich-1971)
- Get to Know Your Rabbit (De Palma-1972)
- The Hoax (1972)
- The Spikes Gang (1974)
- Midway (Smight-1976)
- Damnation Alley (Smight-1977)
- The Boys in Company C (Furie-1978)
- Fast Break (Smight-1979)
- Loving Couples (Smight-1980)
- The Entity (Furie-1981)
- Amityville 3-D (Fleischer-1983)
- Trenchcoat (Tuchner-1983)
- Conan the Destroyer (Fleischer-1984)
- Red Sonja (Fleischer-1985)
- The Hitcher (Harmon-1986)
- RoboCop (Verhoeven-1987)
- Die Hard (McTiernan-1988)
- Road House (Herrington-1989)
- Total Recall (Verhoeven-1990)
- Basic Instinct (Verhoeven-1992)
- Tombstone (Cosmatos-1993)
- Cliffhanger (Harlin-1993)
- Terminal Velocity (Sarafian-1994)
- Cutthroat Island (Harlin-1995)
- Executive Decision (Baird—1996)
- Conspiracy Theory (Donner-1997)
- Lethal Weapon 4 (Donner-1998)
- Deep Blue Sea (Harlin-1999)
- The Thing (Heijningen-2011) (add'l editor)
- Frank J. Urioste at the Internet Movie Database
- Honess, Peter; Urioste, Frank (July/August 2001 issue). "Peter Honess & Frank Urioste: Two Long-Time Friends Talk About Their Work, Part I". Editors Guild Magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-07-13.
- Honess, Peter; Urioste, Frank (September/October 2001). "Peter Honess & Frank Urioste: Two Long-Time Friends Talk About Their Work, Part II". Editors Guild Magazine. Archived from the original on 2008-07-13.