Franklin Canyon, California

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Franklin Canyon is an unincorporated community located outside of Martinez, California in Contra Costa County. It is named for San Francisco pioneer Edward Franklin who came to California from England in 1849 for the California Gold Rush. The canyon lies adjacent to Franklin Ridge, which ends at Mount Wanda, and the Franklin Hills area.

Franklin purchased the two-story Martinez Adobe ranch house (California Historical Landmark No. 511) from Vincente J. Martinez on October 6, 1853. Dr. John T. Strenzel, the father-in-law of famous naturalist John Muir, bought the property from Franklin in 1875.

External links

Notes

Martinez Adobe: Plaque dedicated April 17, 1955, by Contra Costa County Historical Society California State Registration No. 511

Coordinates: 37°59′50″N 122°09′08″W / 37.99722°N 122.15222°W / 37.99722; -122.15222








Creative Commons License