|Part of a series on|
Discriminatory aspects of ageism have been strongly linked to gerontophobia.4 This unreasonable fear or hatred of the elderly is associated with the fact that someday all young people will grow old and that old age is associated with death. This unwillingness to accept death manifests in feelings of hostility and discriminatory acts towards the elderly.5
- γέρων, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- φόβος, Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott, A Greek-English Lexicon, on Perseus
- "Gerontophobia, Ageing and Retirement" Current Science, 10 November 2004
- Bunzel, J. H. "Note on the history of a concept-gerontophobia." Gerontologist 12:116-203.
- Levin, J., & Levin, W. C. (1980). Ageism, prejudice and discrimination against the elderly (p. 94). Belmont, Calif.: Wadsworth Pub. Co..