Gilchrist County, Florida
|Gilchrist County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||4 December 1925|
|• Total||355.47 sq mi (921 km2)|
|• Land||348.89 sq mi (904 km2)|
|• Water||6.58 sq mi (17 km2), 1.85%|
|• Density||48.6/sq mi (19/km²)|
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Cities and towns
- 5 Notable Celebrities
- 6 Commerce
- 7 Politics
- 8 Library
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Historic buildings in Gilchrist County include:
- First Baptist Church, on East Wade Street
- Gilchrist County Courthouse
- Trenton Depot
- The old Trenton Church of Christ on South Main Street.
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 355.47 square miles (920.7 km2), of which 348.89 square miles (903.6 km2) (or 98.15%) is land and 6.58 square miles (17.0 km2) (or 1.85%) is water.2
Gilchrist County is part of the Gainesville Metropolitan Statistical Area, though it is a very rural county.
- Columbia County, Florida - northeast
- Alachua County, Florida - east
- Levy County, Florida - south
- Dixie County, Florida - southwest
- Suwannee County, Florida - northwest
- Lafayette County, Florida - northwest
As of the census5 of 2000, there were 14,437 people, 5,021 households, and 3,715 families residing in the county. The population density was 41 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 5,906 housing units at an average density of 17 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.52% White, 7.00% Black or African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.69% from other races, and 1.26% from two or more races. 2.80% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,021 households out of which 32.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.00% were married couples living together, 11.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.00% were non-families. 21.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.40% under the age of 18, 14.20% from 18 to 24, 24.80% from 25 to 44, 22.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 112.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,328, and the median income for a family was $34,485. Males had a median income of $27,359 versus $21,946 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,985. About 10.90% of families and 14.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.60% of those under age 18 and 12.90% of those age 65 or over.
Easton Corbin, country music singer
The Gilchrist County Public library is part of the Three Rivers Regional Library System, which also serves Dixie, Lafayette, and Taylor counties. It is located at 105 NE 11th Avenue, Trenton, FL 32693. The branch is open Monday 9am-7pm, and Tuesday-Friday 9am-6pm.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Census.gov. Retrieved July 19, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Trenton State Farmer's Market" Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gilchrist County, Florida.|
- Gilchrist County Board of County Commissioners
- Gilchrist County Supervisor of Elections
- Gilchrist County Property Appraiser
- Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office
- Gilchrist County Tax Collector
- Gilchrist County Clerk of Courts
- Office of the State Attorney, 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy and Union Counties
- Circuit and County Court for the 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- The Gilchrist County Journal, the local newspaper for Gilchrist County, Florida fully and openly available in the Florida Digital Newspaper Library
||Lafayette County and Suwannee County||Columbia County|
|Dixie County||Levy County|