Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre
|Field of research||Cardiovascular medicine|
|Director||Prof. Anna Dominiczak|
|Staff||150 (research and technical)|
|Students||16 doctoral students|
|Address||126 University Place|
|Operating agency||University of Glasgow|
|Website||Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre|
The Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre is a research facility at the University of Glasgow, Scotland. It is a department of the Faculty of Medicine, and is housed in purpose-built facilities opened in 20061 forming part of the University's 'triangle of excellence', along with the Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre and University of Glasgow Medical School. Its foundation was funded jointly by the University and the British Heart Foundation, which also endowed the BHF Chair in Cardiovascular Medicine, currently held by the Centre's Director, Professor Anna Dominiczak. The focus of its research is on genetics and vascular biology applied to cardiovascular disease.2
There are around 150 research and technical staff, as well as a number of Ph.D. students (sixteen in 2009). Staff are divided into six current research groups: BHF Cardiovascular Research Group, MRC Cardiovascular Research Group, BHF Cardiac and Imaging Group, Heart Failure and Pharmacology Group, CVS & Renal Failure Group and Metabolic Medicine Group.3 The Director of the Centre is Anna Dominiczak, British Heart Foundation Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine.4 The West of Scotland has one of the highest rates of cardiovascular disease in the world, and research at the Centre has indicated this may be due to genetic factors.5
The Centre is housed in a purpose-built facility on University Place on the University's Gilmorehill Campus. There is a connecting passage between the Centre and the neighbouring Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre. The twin buildings were built on the site at the same time as the new Wolfson Medical School Building, housing the University of Glasgow Medical School. At the time, the three buildings were described as the University's 'triangle of excellence', "ensuring the future strategic competitiveness of University of Glasgow as an international centre of excellence."1
- "University of Glasgow :: Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre :: About the Centre". University of Glasgow. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "Life Sciences Scotland - Scottish clinical research expertise - cardiovascular - academic research". Scottish Enterprise. Retrieved 20 September 2009.dead link
- "University of Glasgow :: Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre :: Research". University of Glasgow. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "University of Glasgow :: Glasgow Cardiovascular Research Centre :: Professor Anna Dominiczak". University of Glasgow. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- "Dominiczak, Anna". nexusscotland. Retrieved 19 September 2009.