||This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (June 2012)|
Screenshot of Google Offers beta
|Type of site||Electronic commerce deal-of-the-day|
|Available language(s)||English and others|
|Launched||May 26, 20111|
Google Offers is a service offering discounts and coupons. Initially, it was a deal of the day website similar to Groupon, but it has since changed focus. Rather than a small number of prepaid offers, it instead offers many smaller discounts. It additionally integrates with both Google Maps and Google Wallet for mobile offers.2
In 2011, Google began to drop hints of entering the Offers market. Nate Tyler, a Google spokesman, stated that the company is "communicating with small businesses to enlist their support and participation in a test of a prepaid offers/vouchers program. This initiative is part of an ongoing effort at Google to make new products … that connect businesses with customers in new ways."3 Users receive an e-mail with a local deal of the day. They then have the opportunity to buy that deal within a specific time limit (usually 24 hours). Unlike Groupon, an offer on Google Offers is valid regardless of how many people take it.45 Google Offers is powered by Google Checkoutcitation needed and integrates with Google Wallet.1 It will also include Facebook, Twitter, Google Reader, Google Buzz and e-mail sharing options.6 Google Offers development information was leaked after a failed attempt by Google to buy Groupon for US$6 billion in December 2010.7
On April 21, 2011, via Google Places Facebook page, it was announced that "Offers BETA is coming", and provided a link to a signup page listing a few select cities, with the first beta city being Portland, Oregon.89
On May 26, 2011, the service was officially launched; the first offer was on June 1, for Floyd's Coffee Shop in Portland.1 During its first month, the most popular deal was $20 worth of Powell's Books merchandise for $10: "5,000 Powell’s vouchers sold out in a matter of hours."10 That deal's price turned out to be Google Offers' median offer price for the month.10
On July 4, 2012, Google Offers Chrome extension was launched.12
On March 6, 2013, offer extensions in AdWords was launched, allowing businesses to distribute promotions through their AdWords campaigns. These offers are discoverable when a user searches for a business, brand, product, or service. They save the offer to their Google Account from the Search ad and then redeem in-store or online. 13
- Panzarino, Matthew (May 26, 2011). "Google launches local deal service Google Offers". The Next Web. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Discover offers with Google and save on the go July 10, 2013.
- Efrati, Amir (January 22, 2011). "Google to Test Daily Deals That Challenge Groupon". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Musil, Steven (May 31, 2011). "Google Offers to launch tomorrow in Portland, Ore.". CNET News. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- Eaton, Kit (June 1, 2011). "iFive: Google Offers Debut, Cell Phones And Cancer, Nokia Shuts Online Stores, Schmidt On Macs vs. PCs, Lodsys Sues Developers". Fast Company. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- Parr, Ben (January 20, 2011). "Google to Launch Groupon Competitor [EXCLUSIVE]". Mashable. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Parr, Ben (November 30, 2010). "Google May Acquire Groupon for $6 Billion, and It Would Be Worth Every Penny". Mashable. Retrieved May 27, 2011.
- Google Places on Facebook. Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- "Google Offers Help". Retrieved April 21, 2011.
- Agrawal, Rocky (July 4, 2011). "Google Offers Versus Groupon: The Portland Throwdown". TechCrunch. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 (2011-07-12). "Google Offers Beta Expanded From Portland To New York And The SF Bay Area". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "Google Commerce: Get Google Offers straight from your browser with the new Google Offers Chrome extension". Googlecommerce.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
- "Enhanced campaigns: Improving online and offline results with location bid adjustments and offer extensions - Inside AdWords". Adwords.blogspot.com. 2013-03-06. Retrieved 2013-07-07.