The first contact between the two civilisations dates back from Alexander the Great’s and King Porus's Battle of the Hydaspes River . Modern connections between Greece and India started in May 1950. The new Greek Embassy building in New Delhi was inaugurated on the 6th February 2006.
The Heliodorus pillar is a stone column that was erected around 110 BCE in central India in Vidisha near modern Besnagar, by Heliodorus, a Greek ambassador of the Indo-Greek king Antialcidas to the court of the Sunga king Bhagabhadra. The site is located only 5 miles from the Buddhist stupa of Sanchi.
Dimitrios Galanos (Greek Δημήτριος Γαλανός, 1760–1833) was the earliest recorded Greek Indologist. His translations of Sanskrit texts into Greek made knowledge of the philosophical and religious ideas of India available to many Europeans. A "Dimitrios Galanos" Chair for Hellenic Studies was established at Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi, India in September 2000.
- In December 2000, Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou visited India.
- In February 2001, Prime Minister of Greece Kostas Simitis visited India.
- In September 2006, Speaker of the Lok Sabha Somnath Chatterjee visited Greece.
- In April 2007, President of India Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam made an unofficial visit to Athens.
- Agreement on Cultural Exchange, 1961
- Agreement on Avoidance of Double Taxation, 1967
- Agreement for Joint Commission for Economic, Scientific and Technical Cooperation, 1983.
- Joint Business Council of FICCI and ASSOCHAM and the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 1996.
- Agreement of Cooperation between Hellenic Foreign Trade Board and India *Trade Promotion Organisation, 1996.
- Agreement on Tourism Cooperation, 1998.
- MOU on Defence Cooperation, 1998.
- MOU for Cooperation in Agriculture, 2001.
- Agreement on Promotion and Reciprocal Protection of Investments (BIPA), 2007.
- Agreement on Cooperation in Science & Technology, 2007.
- MOU between CII and Federation of Greek Industries, 2007.
- MOU for Cooperation between Institute of Science, Bangalore and *National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), 2007