|Full name||Gregorio Manzano Ballesteros|
|Date of birth||11 March 1956|
|Place of birth||Bailén, Spain|
|Current club||Beijing Guoan (coach)|
In 1996, Manzano signed with Talavera CF from the third level. During his two-season spell he led the Castile-La Mancha side to a second-place finish in its group (1996–97), and a narrow miss on promotion (1997–98). His good work there prompted the interest – and signing – from division two's CD Toledo, which he helped retain league status with a comfortable seventh place.
Manzano had his first La Liga experience with Real Valladolid, in 1999–2000. His new club finished eighth, and the campaign included a 1–0 win over Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. For the following season he stayed in the top flight, with Racing de Santander; in spite of a 4–0 home success against FC Barcelona, the Cantabrians were relegated and the coach was fired.
After helping Rayo Vallecano finish 11th in 2001–02's top division, Manzano signed for RCD Mallorca. Season highlights were another win at Real Madrid (5–1) and the conquest of the Copa del Rey, over Recreativo de Huelva.
Subsequently he signed with Atlético de Madrid, qualifying the club for the UEFA Cup after finishing seventh. After the sacking of Iñaki Sáez as Spanish national coach, he was rumoured to be one of his possible successors,1 but nothing came of it, and he took charge of Málaga CF instead.
On 15 February 2006 Manzano returned to Mallorca, after Héctor Cúper's dismissal, and continued to work with the Balearic Islands side in the following seasons. In 2009–10 the club won its first ten home fixtures, eventually only losing three of the 19 in the league (Sevilla FC, Barcelona and Real Madrid) and qualifying for the Europa League, as fifth.
On 19 May 2010, it was announced Mallorca would not renew Manzano's contract despite his great season, due to financial difficulties.2 On 26 September he returned to active, being appointed at Sevilla as a replacement for fired Antonio Álvarez.3
On 8 June 2011, after leading Sevilla to the fifth place, with the subsequent Europa League qualification, Manzano returned to former team Atlético Madrid, replacing Quique Flores.45 Early into 2011–12 he and José Antonio Reyes had a serious altercation, which resulted in the player being relegated to the bench and sometimes not even selected for matchday squads.67
On 22 December 2011, following a 0–1 home and 1–3 aggregate loss against Albacete Balompié for the season's domestic cup, Manzano was relieved of his duties, as the club also ranked 10th in the domestic league.8 On 5 February 2013 he returned to Mallorca for a third spell, following the sacking of Joaquín Caparrós,9 as the campaign went on to end in top level relegation.
- Don Balón Award – Coach of the Year: 2008
- Manzano: ‘Sería un orgullo dirigir la Selección’ (Manzano: ‘It would be an honour to manage the national team’); Mallorca Diario, 14 September 2007 (Spanish)
- Manzano se marcha porque el club no puede asumir su ficha (Manzano leaves because the club can't pay his salary); Marca, 19 May 2010 (Spanish)
- "Sevilla sack Antonio Alvarez and appoint Gregorio Manzano". Goal.com. 27 September 2010. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- Ya es oficial: Manzano es el nuevo técnico del Atlético (It's official: Manzano is new Atlético coach); Diario AS, 8 June 2011 (Spanish)
- Manzano, nuevo entrenador del Atlético (Manzano, new Atlético coach); Marca, 8 June 2011 (Spanish)
- "Atletico Madrid's Gregorio Manzano: There is no conflict with Jose Antonio Reyes". Goal.com. 2 November 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Atletico Madrid's Gregorio Manzano retains confidence in Jose Antonio Reyes". Goal.com. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- Manzano sacked by Atletico; ESPN Star Sports, 23 December 2011
- Principio de acuerdo con Gregorio Manzano (Initial agreement with Gregorio Manzano; Mallorca's official website, 5 February 2013 (Spanish)
- "Gregorio Manzano ficha por el Beijing Guoan" [Gregorio Manzano signs for Beijing Guoan] (in Spanish). Marca. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 12 February 2014.