Hallmark Movie Channel
|Hallmark Movie Channel|
|Launched||January 20, 2004|
|Owned by||Crown Media Holdings (Hallmark Cards)|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
480i (SDTV/16:9 letterbox))
|Headquarters||Studio City, California|
|Sister channel(s)||Hallmark Channel
|Dish Network||187 (HD/SD)|
|Verizon Fios||739 (HD)
As of August 2013, approximately 51,668,000 American households (45.24% of households with television) receive the Hallmark Movie Channel.1
It began broadcasting in 1080i high definition to a small audience as early as April 2, 2008,2 but expanded nationally on May 12, 20083 on Dish Network and recently has been added many markets, including DirecTV, DISH, Comcast, Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable.2 DirecTV added the channel for the first time in HD only on May 19, 2010.
The channel features mystery, western, and family-friendly movies and mini-series mainly from the Hallmark Channel library, notably original films that had once premiered on Hallmark Channel at an earlier date. The channel also features a small amount of films from Hallmark Hall of Fame, Walt Disney Pictures and Touchstone Pictures. Hallmark Movie Channel also broadcasts the McBride, Murder 101, Jane Doe, and Mystery Woman film series, as well as the Perry Mason and Matlock movies that once premiered and aired on Hallmark Channel.
The first original movie to premiere on the channel was Son of the Dragon on April 2, 2008, and a handful of movies have since premiered on the channel.3 In July, 2010, the channel begin airing scripted television series to its schedule. These series currently include Murder, She Wrote, Matlock, and Perry Mason.
In March 2009 the network announced that it is partnering with the NYU Tisch School of the Arts’ Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and TV to showcase short films by the school’s students and alumni. The shorts will begin airing in October, and will also be available for viewing online at the network website www.hallmarkmoviechannel.com. Actor Alec Baldwin is a Tisch alum who will be one of the judges to determine which films appear on the network.45
On January 29, 2009 the company announced the development of an online movie shop at both www.hallmarkchannel.com and www.hallmarkmoviechannel.com featuring DVD movies and movie-related products from its library.6 The shop is powered by the Amazon Associates program. Since its soft launch in mid-2008, Hallmark Channel has already generated sales of over 10,000 items. The network earns a commission on each sale.7
- Seidman, Robert (August 23, 2013). "List of How Many Homes Each Cable Networks Is In - Cable Network Coverage Estimates As Of August 2013". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- "Corporate: Company Milestones". Hallmark Channel Press Site.
- "Hallmark Channel Press Release 8/8/07". Hallmark Channel Press Site.
- "Hallmark Plans More Originals, Adds Short Films From NYU Students". EntertainmentCareers.net.
- "Tisch Partners with Hallmark Movie Channel". Tisch.NYU.edu.
- "Hallmark Channel Online Shop". Hallmark Channel.com.
- "Hallmark Channel Press Release 1/29/09". Hallmark Channel Press Site.
- Hallmark Channels Go Dark On AT&T U-verse, Multichannel News, September 1, 2010
|This article about a television station in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|