|Type||Further education college|
Harlow College (formerly Harlow Technical College) is a Further Education college in Harlow, Essex, England. It was preceded by its namesake, a boys' boarding school situated in Old Harlow, which closed in 1965.
Formed in 1964, Harlow College's Journalism Centre is a journalism training centre, with courses accredited through the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and the Periodical Training Council (PTC). The centre boasts strong links with Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge, through a BA Hons Journalism degree.2
The journalism students studying at BTEC level are now able to use the new £9m University Centre Harlow facilities, which is part of Anglia Ruskin University.
The current college was predated by a boys' boarding school of the same name, originally dating from 1862, which was situated in Old Harlow.
The college has three divisions:
- Corporate services
- Student-focused provision: the Sixth Form, the Vocational Studies Academy.
- Employer-focused provision: the Business & Technology Academy, The Creative Arts Academy, The Employer Response Unit.
In 2006/06, the college enrolled about 2,070 learners aged 16–18 and about 3,040 adult learners, with an income of around £20m.
- John Earls - music journalist and broadcaster.
- Gareth Herincx - media editor.
- Mark Knopfler - musician, songwriter, composer, producer.
- Steve Lamacq - DJ.
- Felicity Landon - freelance journalist.
- Piers Morgan - journalist and television presenter.
- Norman Watt-Roy - bassist.
- Jaime Winstone - actress.
- Jeremy Clarkson - journalist /presenter
- Alan Rusbridger - journalist/editor
- Richard Madeley - journalist / broadcaster
- Charlie Thomas - Sky News sports presenter.
- John Linger, Brandon Jacobs and Tom Hawkins - founding members of post-punk band Neils Children.
In September 2010, five students created the college's first student paper - The Harlow Harrier. It gives news on student issues, jobs in journalism, sports news, and local politics. The Founding Editor is Talal Musa - an ex News of the World trainee sub-editor who works on the sports desk at the Daily Mail. Musa also reviews videogames for the MailOnline where he was named in trade magazine MCV's 30 Under 30 in 2012.
The Harlow College of today was preceded by a boys' school (boarding and day), originally known as St. Mary's College, but later as Harlow College. The college was opened by the Reverend Charles Miller on 29 May 1862, in Old Harlow.3 It was founded with the aim "to provide a superior education for the sons of gentlemen and (when sufficient amounts have been obtained) to train at low charge, the sons of missionaries abroad, of clergymen similarly engaged at home, as well as orphan sons of gentlemen who have been reduced in circumstances".4
The original buildings were built by the architect R. J. Withers. The design forming a quadrangle, the front being lower by two stories than the rest. At the eastern end a chapel was planned, in similar style and architecture, for the sole use of students". When the school opened in May 1862, the eastern wing had been built, together with half the northern annexe, however, the projected front and chapel were never built, robbing the architect of his cloistered vision. The nearby church of St. John the Baptist was used as the school's chapel.5
For most of its history, there were about 180 boys on the roll. The main building comprised dining hall, classrooms, library, sick rooms, dormitories, office and staff rooms. In addition to the main block, there was an art room, gymnasium, science lab, common room and two playing fields. The school provided a five to six-year course in mathematics, French, science, geography, history and art. The boys played cricket, tennis and athletics in the summer term, football in the winter and cross-country in the spring.
Sources cite the 1904-35 period as a golden era for Harlow College, during which the college was under the headmastership of Ernest Percival Horsey. A pupil in the 1920s remembered: "It was Mr. Horsey who made the school what it is".6
In the early 1960s, development plans were made for the Old Harlow area. In 1964, Harlow College was told that the site occupied by the school would be required for housing and the college was, therefore, due for demolition the following year. The headmaster Roy Purgavie briefly looked into relocating to Hertfordshire, but this was not possible, and the college closed in 1965. The Jocelyns housing area now occupies the site.
- 29 May 1862: Opened by Rev. Charles Miller
- 1889 - 1903: Rev. L. B. Towne
- 1904 - 1935: E. P. Horsey
- 1935 - 1939: ? Miller
- 1939 - 1962: K. L. Dames
- 1962 - 1965: Roy Purgavie
- Gordon de Lisle Lee - Clarenceux King of Arms, 1862-1927.
- Herbert Marshall - actor, 1890-1966.
- George Fellowes Prynne - church designer, 1853-1927.