Hinduism in the United Kingdom
|Part of a series on|
1.0% of the UK Population
|Regions with significant populations|
|English · Hindi · Indian Languages|
Hinduism has been in the United Kingdom since the early 19th century. Hindus are the second largest minority group in the UK.
UK-wide Hindu organisations include The National Council of Hindu Temples UK, the oldest UK-wide Hindu organisation comprising over 300 Hindu Temples and Hindu Faith Organisations,1 The Hindu Council UK representing almost 400 affiliated cultural and religious organisations of various Hindu denominations including temples,2 and The Hindu Forum of Britain, with nearly 300 member organisations.3
Some of the most notable Hindu-based organisations in the UK include the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), Swaminarayan (BAPS), the Chinmaya Mission, Ramakrishna Mission and Sai Organisation, each having large followings. SHYAM, an educational Hindu organisation teaches the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayana, Shrimad Bhagavad, Vedas and Upanishads.4
Slough Hindu Temple was built by the Slough Hindu Cultural Society - formally opened in 1981 - it was the first purpose-built Hindu Temple in the British Isles.
Hinduism was the religion of 558,342 people in the United Kingdom according to the 2001 census5 but an estimate in a British newspaper in 2007 has put the figure as high as 1.5 Million.6 According to the 2011 census, 816,633 Hindus live in England and Wales with the figure for Scotland yet to be released. Most Hindus in the UK live in England, with half living in London alone,7 but small communities also exist in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- List of Hindu temples in the United Kingdom
- Hinduism in the West
- Sanskrit in the West
- Hinduism by country
-  National Council of Hindu Temples UK, accessed 3 August 2009
- Affiliates Hindu Council UK, accessed 4 August 2009
- About us About us, accessed 12 December 2008
- UK 2001 census
- Hindu school is first to make vegetarianism a condition of entry | Schools special reports | EducationGuardian.co.uk
- Minority religions mainly in London. National Statistics. Accessed 5 Jun 2006.
- Hindu Council UK
- Hindu Forum of Britain
- National Council of Hindu Temples (UK)
- Directory of Hindu temples in the UK
- SHYAM - Educational organisation teaching the Bhagavad Gita, Ramayan, Shrimad Bhagavad, the Vedas and the Upanishads.
- Chinmaya Mission UK - Prominent Hindu Organisation based in Hendon
- Connecting British Hindus: An enquiry into the identity and public engagement of Hindus in Britain
- UK Hindus appeal for recognition
- British Asians: Hindus, ‘Desis’ or What
- National Hindu Students Forum UK
- Directory of Hindu temples in the London