|Jessop Hospital for Women|
The Original Victorian Wing of the Jessop Hospital
|Location||Sheffield,, South Yorkshire, England|
|Affiliated university||Sheffield Medical School (University of Sheffield)|
|Beds||57 initially, 217 at closure|
|Founded||22 July 18781|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
|Other links||List hospitals in England|
The Jessop Hospital for Women was opened in 1878 with funds from Thomas Jessop, a wealthy steelworks-owner. The architect was John Dodsley Webster.3 It was built to replace the old Sheffield Hospital for Women at Figtree Lane,4 which had only nine beds. The building cost £26,000 - a lot of money at the time - all paid for by Jessop. Initially it had fifty-seven beds, and was built in the classic Gothic Revival style.3
An Edwardian wing was built later, the hospital now accommodating 151 beds. Between 1927 and 1972 the hospital had a 45 bed annexe at Norton Hall known as the Firth Auxiliary Hospital.5 A further wing was added in the 1970s, increasing this number to the 217 present at closure in 2001.
In 2007 the majority of the 1970s wing was demolished by the University of Sheffield as part of their Jessop West development.7 The Victorian Wing of the original hospital was converted to house the Department of Music, who occupied it in 2009.8
The University is now proposing to demolish the Edwardian wing.9
- "Figtree Lane". rootsweb.com.
- "The Jessops Hospital for Women". rootsweb.com.
- English Heritage Jessop Hospital for Women
- Photo by Budby http://www.flickr.com/photos/30120216@N07/4318149083/
- National Archives - Jessop Hospital for women, Sheffield. Gives details of Firth Auxiliary Hospital.
- Jessop Wing http://www.sth.nhs.uk/our-hospitals/jessop-wing
- BBC South Yorkshire http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/jessops_hospital_old_gallery.shtml
- University of Sheffield Music Dept
- Sheffield Telegraph 22 April 2012