Jesus College, Cambridge
|Colleges of the University of Cambridge
|Full name||The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, within the City and University of Cambridge1|
|Named after||Jesus Chapel|
|Sister college||Jesus College, Oxford|
|Location||Jesus Lane (map)|
|Facias prosperum iter
(Latin, "Good going to thee")
|Student Union website|
|Boat Club website|
Jesus College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge, England. The College's full name is "The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, near Cambridge". Its common name comes from the name of its Chapel, Jesus Chapel.
The college was established between 1496 and 1516, on the site of the twelfth-century Benedictine nunnery of St Mary and St Radegund by John Alcock, then Bishop of Ely. The cockerel is a symbol of Jesus College, after the surname of its founder, Alcock.
The College is also known for its grounds, which are unlike those of Cambridge’s other old colleges, being much more spacious. Set back from Jesus Lane, all the courts are open on at least one side (with the exception of the Cloister). The main entrance to the College is a walled passage, called the "Chimney" (derived from the French word chemin).
Jesus College has assets of approximately £243m2 making it Cambridge’s third wealthiest college and one of the richest per head.
Founded at the beginning of the 12th century, the Chapel is the oldest university building in Cambridge still in use.
When founded in 1496, the College consisted of buildings taken over from the Nunnery of St Mary and St Radegund: namely the Chapel, and the Cloister attached to it; the nuns’ refectory, which became the college hall; and the former lodging of the prioress, which became the Master’s Lodge. This set of buildings remains the core of the College to this day, and this accounts for its distinctly monastic and non-collegiate character, which sets it apart from other Cambridge colleges. A library was soon added, and the Chapel was considerably modified and reduced in scale by Alcock.
The 500th anniversary of the College’s foundation in 1996 saw the completion of the new Quincentenary Library, designed by Eldred Evans and David Shalev, which was shortly followed by a new accommodation building.
Jesus College is one of the few colleges to allow anyone to walk on the lawns of its courts, with the exception of First Court, Cloister Court and those that are burial sites for deceased nuns from the original nunnery. However, in common with other Cambridge colleges, this privilege is only extended during the summer term.
The following Latin grace is recited before formal dinners at Jesus College (Oratio Ante Cibum):
Oculi omnium in te aspiciunt et in te sperant, Deus. Tu das illis escam tempore opportuno. Aperis tu manus, et imples omne animal benedictione tua. Benedic nobis, Domine, et omnibus tuis donis, quae ex larga liberalitate tua sumpturi sumus, per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum. Deus est caritas. Qui manet in caritate manet in Deo et Deus in illo. Sit Deus in nobis, et nos maneamus in illo.
Translated into English, the Oratio Ante Cibum reads as follows:
The eyes of all look towards you and trust in you, O God. You give them food in due season. You open your hands and fill every living thing with your blessing. Bless us, O Lord, and all your gifts, which through your great generosity we are about to receive, through Jesus Christ our Lord. God is love. He who abides in love abides in God and God in him. May God be in us and may we abide in him.
The following Oratio Post Cibum is sometimes read after dinner:
Deus pacis et dilectionis semper maneat nobiscum; tu autem, Domine, miserere nostrum. Agimus tibi gratias pro omnibus tuis beneficiis, qui vivis et regnas, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum. Deus conservet Ecclesiam, Reginam, regnum, senatum, et pacem.
Translated into English, the Orato Post Cibum reads as follows:
May the God of peace and love always abide with us; have mercy upon us, O Lord. We thank you for all your mercies, who live and reign, God, for ever and ever. May God preserve the Church, the Queen, the realm, Parliament and peace.
However after a normal formal dinner in Hall the following short responsory is usually used:
The Presiding Fellow: Laus Deo (Praise be to God)
The College: Deo Gratias (Thanks be to God)
The 500th anniversary of the College’s foundation in 1996 saw the completion of the new Quincentenary Library, designed by Eldred Evans and David Shalev, which was shortly followed by a new accommodation building, completed in 2000.3
Although Jesus College was not founded until 1496, the Chapel and other buildings date from the 12th and 13th centuries. Originally it was the Benedictine Convent of St Mary and St Radegund, which was dissolved by John Alcock, Bishop of Ely. The Chapel is believed to be the oldest university building in Cambridge still in use.
The Chapel was founded in 1157 and took until 1245 to complete. The original structure was cruciform in shape, and the nave had both north and south aisles. A high, pitched roof was surmounted by a belfry and steeple; this collapsed in 1277. The Chapel was also used as the parish church of St Radegund. Twice the Chapel was ravaged by fire, 1313 and 1376.
When the College took over the precincts, the parish was renamed after the College as Jesus parish, with the churchyard still being used for burials. This however, was short lived, as by the middle of the 16th century Jesus parish was absorbed into that of All Saints.
The Chapel was much modified, with the western two thirds of the nave being converted into college rooms.
The College maintains two choirs. Mark Williams, former assistant organist at St Paul's Cathedral has been the Director of Music since September 2009,4 following the departure of Daniel Hyde to Magdalen College, Oxford, himself replacing Bill Ives.5
- Jesus College Choir consists of male and female students and sings regular services twice a week in the Chapel. One of the leading choirs in Cambridge, its singers are mainly drawn from the College's own students, but also includes singers from a number of other colleges.
- Jesus College Chapel Choir consists of around 20 choristers combined with the gentlemen of the College Choir, and also sings services twice a week in the Chapel. It is unique among Cambridge college choirs in that the choristers are volunteers: that is, they are drawn from schools around the city, and do not attend a particular choir school.
The misericords were created by Pugin between 1849 and 1853, and used fragments of the misericords dating from 1500, which had been preserved in the Master's Lodge as templates, from then on.
Jack Patterson, Grace Chatto and Milan Neil Amin-Smith of the British electronic group Clean Bandit all studied at Jesus as undergraduates, coming together to form the band in 2009.
|Thomas Cranmer||1489||1556||Archbishop of Canterbury|
|John Bale||1495||1563||Bishop of Ossory|
|Thomas Goodrich||1494||1554||Bishop of Ely|
|Arthur Golding||1535/6||1606||Protestant propagandist|
|Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke||1554||1628||Elizabethan poet, playwright, statesman and biographer of Sir Philip Sidney|
|Thomas Beard||1632||English clergyman, theologian, Puritan and schoolmaster of Oliver Cromwell.|
|Francis Higginson||1588||1630||Early Puritan minister in Colonial New England, and first minister of Salem, Massachusetts.|
|Richard Sterne||1596||1683||Archbishop of York, Master of Jesus College (1634)|
|John Eliot||1604||1690||Puritan missionary who translated the Bible into Algonquian.|
|Sir Richard Fanshawe, 1st Baronet||1608||1666||English diplomat, translator and poet.|
|John Strype||1643||1737||English clergyman, historian and biographer|
|William Beale||1784||1854||Master of Jesus College (1632)|
|John Flamsteed||1646||1719||First Astronomer Royal|
|Thomas Herring||1693||1757||Archbishop of Canterbury|
|Matthew Hutton||1693||1758||Archbishop of Canterbury|
|John Jortin||1698||1770||Ecclesiastical historian|
|Henry Venn||1725||1797||A leader of the Evangelical movement in the Church of England|
|Gilbert Wakefield||1756||1801||Principal of two nonconformist academies|
|Robert Malthus||1766||1834||Population theorist|
|William Otter||1768||1840||First Principal of King's College London|
|Samuel Taylor Coleridge||1772||1834||Poet, critic and philosopher|
|William Percy Carpmael||1853||1936||Founder of the Barbarians rugby team|
|Charles Whibley||1859||1930||Journalist and author|
|Herbert Williams||1860||1937||Bishop of Waiapu, New Zealand|
|Steve Fairbairn||1862||1938||Rowing coach|
|Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch||1863||1944||Novelist and critic|
|John Maxwell Edmonds||1875||1958||Classicist, poet. dramatist and writer of celebrated epitaphs|
|Robert Stanford Wood||1886||1963||First Vice-Chancellor of the University of Southampton|
|Bernard Vann||1887||1918||Recipient of the Victoria Cross and League footballer for Derby County from 1906 to 1907|
|Sir Harold Scott||1887||1969||Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service from 1945 to 1953|
|E. M. W. Tillyard||1889||1962||Literary critic, master (1945–1959)|
|James Reeves||1909||1978||Author and literary critic|
|Don Siegel||1912||1991||American film director and producer|
|David Clive Crosbie Trench||1915||1988||24th Governor of Hong Kong|
|Peter Mitchell||1920||1992||Nobel Prize winning biochemist for the chemiosmotic mechanism of ATP synthesis|
|Sir John Jardine Paterson||1920||2000||Businessman in India|
|Raymond Williams||1921||1988||Literary and cultural critic|
|Somnath Chatterjee||1929||Ex -Speaker of Lok Sabha|
|Edwin Boston||1924||1986||Clergyman and steam enthusiast|
|J.B. Steane||1928||Music critic and musicologist|
|Michael Podro||1931||2008||Art historian|
|Richard Hey Lloyd||1933||Organist and composer|
|Peter G. Fletcher||1936||1996||British conductor and author|
|Colin Renfrew, Baron Renfrew of Kaimsthorn||1937||Archaeologist|
|Fernando Vianello||1939||2009||Italian economist|
|William T. Onorato||1940||Legal Adviser and Arbitrator|
|Lisa Jardine||1944||Literary critic|
|Paul Harrison||1945||Founder of the World Pantheist Movement, UNEP Global 500 Roll of Honour, author|
|Roger Toulson||1946||Justice of the Supreme Court|
|Rupert Jackson||1948||Justice of the Court of Appeal|
|Simon Hornblower||1949||Prof. of Classics and Grote Prof. of Ancient History, UCL|
|Anthony Wilson||1950||2007||Journalist, founder of Factory Records|
|David Wootton||1950||Lord Mayor of London|
|Bernard Silverman||1952||British statistician and Master of St Peter's College, Oxford.|
|Geoff Hoon||1953||former Secretary of State for Defence, Chief Whip, Secretary to the Treasury and Secretary of State for Transport|
|Anthony Julius||1956||Prominent British lawyer|
|Andrew Mitchell||1956||Secretary of State for International Development (from May 2010)|
|Nick Hornby||1957||Novelist and journalist|
|Shaun Woodward||1958||British politician, former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland|
|John Baron||1959||British Conservative politician|
|Kimberley Rew||1951||Songwriter and guitarist|
|Glen Goei||1962||Film and theatre director|
|Quentin Letts||1963||British journalist, currently writing for the New Statesman|
|Prince Edward||1964||Earl of Wessex|
|James Wood||1965||Literary critic|
|Giles Dilnot||1971||Television presenter and journalist|
|Alexis Taylor||Hot Chip musician, composer, singer|
Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke, Elizabethan poet, dramatist and statesman.
Thomas Herring, Archbishop of Canterbury, noted Whig and Hanoverian supporter.
Laurence Sterne, Irish novelist and Anglican clergyman.
Steve Fairbairn, Australian rower and influential rowing coach.
Alistair Cooke, British/American journalist.
The American fellows Philip W. Anderson and Eric Maskin won Nobel Prizes in Physics (1977) and Economics (joint - 2007) respectively. Anderson was a fellow from 1969 to 1975 while he held a Visiting Professorship at the Cavendish Laboratory, and has been an Honorary Fellow since 1978. Maskin was a Research Fellow in 1976 to 1977.
The following persons have served as Master of Jesus College, Cambridge:
|Roger Andrewes||1618||1632||The brother of theologian Lancelot Andrewes|
|Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York||1634||1644|
|Richard Sterne||1660||1660||Took over as Master for second time until his death.|
|George Elwes Corrie||1849||1885|
|Henry Arthur Morgan||1885||1912|
|E. M. W. Tillyard||1945||1959|
|Denys Lionel Page||1959||1973|
- College Statutes , October 2011
- "History (1945-)". Jesus College, Cambridge. April 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- Poole, Sarah Cathedral organist secures dream job, 6 April 2009, Bolton News. Retrieved on 19 April 2009.
- New Informator Choristorum appointed, Oxford University. Retrieved on 19 April 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jesus College, Cambridge.|
- Jesus College website
- Jesus College Student Union website
- Jesus College Graduate Union website
- Map showing the College’s location near the centre of Cambridge