||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|This article relies on references to primary sources. (September 2012)|
Joel Fuhrman, May 2011.
December 2, 1953 |
New York, New York, United States
|Occupation||Family physician, author|
Joel Fuhrman, M.D. (born December 2, 1953), is an American board-certified family physician who specializes in nutrition-based treatments for obesity and chronic disease. He is on the medical staff of Hunterdon Medical Center and also serves as Director of Research for the Nutritional Research Foundation.1
Joel Fuhrman was born in New York, New York on December 2, 1953. He was a world-class figure skater. He was a member of the US World Figure Skating Team and placed second in the US National Pairs Championship in 1973. He came in 3rd place at the 1976 World Professional Pairs Skating Championship in Jaca, Spain skating with Gale Fuhrman2 He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.
Fuhrman is the author of six books, and five journal articles.3 The Second Edition of Eat to Live reached the New York Times Best Seller list in June, 2011; Super Immunity reached the New York Times Best Seller list in October 2012; The End of Diabetes reached the New York Times Best Seller list in January 2013. He has appeared on several radio and television shows.4dead link5 Fuhrman coined the word "nutritarian" to label people who adopt a micronutrient-rich diet style. He created the Health Equation: Health = Nutrients/Calories (abbreviated as H = N/C).
Fuhrman is featured in the documentaries A Sacred Duty (2007), Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days (2009), Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (2010)6 and Vegucated (2011). In 2011, Fuhrman launched 3 Steps to Incredible Health!, a sixty-minute PBS pledge program that addresses the crisis of obesity and chronic disease plaguing America. In 2012, Fuhrman launched his second PBS pledge program, entitled The Immunity Solution, which discusses the effect of dietary habits on the immune system and risk of cancer.
Fuhrman is married and has four children.
- The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes (hardcover) - ISBN 978-0-06-221997-8 (HarperOne; December 26, 2012)
- Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free (hardcover) - ISBN 978-0-06-208063-9 (HarperOne; 1st edition Sep 20, 2011)
- Eat For Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (hardcover) - Volume 1 ISBN 0-9799667-2-8, Volume 2 ISBN 0-9799667-3-6, Gift of Health Press; First edition (April 1, 2008)
- Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss (paperback) - ISBN 0-316-73550-7, (Little Brown & Company; 1st edition January 15, 2003)
- Disease Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right (hardcover) - ISBN 0-312-33805-8, Publisher: St. Martin's Press (August 1, 2005)
- Cholesterol Protection for Life (paperback) - ISBN 0-9744633-1-0, Publisher: Gift of Health Press (September 15, 2004)
- Fasting & Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease (paperback) - ISBN 0-312-18719-X, Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (April 15, 1998)
- 3 Steps To Incredible Health! set (PBS, 2011)
- Dr. Fuhrman's Immersion Excursion
- Osteoporosis Protection for Life
- Dr. Fuhrman’s Secrets to Healthy Cooking
- Eating Like A Nutritarian (2011)
- Dunaief DM, Fuhrman J, Dunaief JL, Ying G. Glycemic and cardiovascular parameters improved in Type 2 Diabetes with the high nutrient density (HND) diet. Open Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2012 Aug;2(3):364-371
- Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Glaser D, Acocella S. Changing perceptions of hunger on a high nutrient density diet. Nutrition Journal 2010, 9:51 (7 November 2010)
- Fuhrman J, Ferreri DM. Fueling the vegetarian (vegan) athlete. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2010 Jul-Aug;9(4):233-41
- Fuhrman J, Sarter B, Calabro DJ. Brief case reports of medically supervised, water-only fasting associated with remission of autoimmune disease. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 2002 Jul-Aug;8(4):112, 110-1.
- Fuhrman J, Selzer ME, Kaplan FS. A shoulder-facial synkinesis in normal human subjects. University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Journal 1991;7:43-45.
- Sarter BS, Fuhrman J. Effect of a high nutrient density diet on long-term weight loss: a retrospective chart review. Alternative Therapies 2008;14(3):48-53.
- Joel Fuhrman, M.D. Nutritional Research Foundation. Accessed 19 Dec 2012.
- "World Professional Figure Skating Championships (Jaca, Spain)". Retrieved 19 Dec 2012.
- About Dr. Fuhrman
- Living the Life Show with Carolyn Castleberry on Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN)
- The Dr. Oz Show
- "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". DrFuhrman.com.