|Branding||KAIT 8 (general)
Region 8 News (news)
|Slogan||Always Tracking. Always Watching. Always On.|
|Channels||Digital: 8 (VHF)|
8.2 KAIT 24-7
|Owner||Raycom Media, Inc.
(KAIT License Subsidiary, LLC)
|First air date||July 15, 1963|
|Call letters' meaning||Arkansas
(AIT also sounds like eight)
|Sister station(s)||KFVS-TV, WQWQ-LP/WQTV-LP|
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
8 (VHF, 1963-2009)
9 (VHF, 2003-2009)
|Former affiliations||independent (1963-1965)|
|Transmitter power||28.2 kW|
KAIT "Region 8" in Jonesboro, Arkansas is the ABC affiliated television station for Northeastern Arkansas and Southeastern Missouri, offering a mix of news and syndicated programming and local broadcasts. Its transmitter is located in Egypt, Arkansas.
|8.1||16:9||720p||Main KAIT programming / ABC|
|8.2||4:3||480i||KAIT Region 8 24/7 Weather Source (LIVE weather along with LIVE and repeats of weekday news broadcasts)|
KAIT first signed on July 15, 1963 as an independent station, a venture of Fort Smith businessman George Hernreich. It has been affiliated with ABC since 1965. The Hernreich family sold the station to Channel Communications in 1984. That company, in turn, sold KAIT to Cosmos Broadcasting, the broadcasting arm of South Carolina-based insurer The Liberty Corporation, in 1986. Liberty exited the insurance business in 2000, bringing the Cosmos stations directly under the Liberty banner. Current owner Raycom Media obtained the station in 2005 through its purchase of Liberty.1
KATV (channel 7) in Little Rock and the signals of other Little Rock area VHF stations adequately covered parts of the KAIT viewing area before the digital transition. For many years, KAIT also operated a low-powered translator station K11JW operating on Channel 11 in nearby Blytheville, Arkansas.
Several cable systems in the KAIT viewing area, including Jonesboro and Blytheville, have carried KATV for decades. In compliance with syndex and must-carry regulations, some systems may blackout KATV when both channels are carrying the same program, usually during the daytime and primetime hours, except for breaking news, weather bulletins, and newscasts. Other cable systems in parts of the KAIT viewing area that are within in the Little Rock television market that also carry KATV, such as in Searcy and Heber Springs, carry both stations without restrictions.
In addition to reporting on local news stories, members of KAIT's reporting staff are also employed as photojournalists for the station. On October 15, 2007 beginning with the 5 p.m. newscast, KAIT's local newscasts were rebranded, replacing the former K8 News branding with Region 8 News, a branding the station had used during much of the 1980s. The station's longtime slogan "Good Neighbors You Can Turn To" (also "Your Good Neighbor Station") was also replaced with a new slogan ("Always Tracking. Always Watching. Always On.")
On September 16, 2011, KAIT announced that upgrade its newscasts to high definition, and broadcast from a new set; the following night, fellow ABC affiliate KATV in Little Rock started broadcasting its local newscasts in HD. On October 17, 2011 beginning with its 11 a.m. newscast, KAIT became the fourth station in Arkansas (the first in Jonesboro) to broadcast its local newscast in high definition.
Although not owned by the same company, KAIT frequently forms a partnership with the Jonesboro Radio Group of Jonesboro, Arkansas, for community projects and promotions. The three of the five radio stations owned by the Jonesboro Radio Group are KEGI 100.5 FM, KDXY 104.9 FM and KJBX 106.3 FM. An audio simulcast of KAIT's 6 p.m. newscast airs Monday-Friday evenings on KJBX.
- The Northeast Arkansas-Southeast Missouri Report (1965-1971)
- 8 Country News (1971-1977)
- Action 8 News (1977-1979)
- Region 8 News (1979–1993 and 2007–present)
- KAIT 8 News (1993–1995)
- K8 News (1995–2007)2
- Good Morning Region 8 (morning newscast; 1995–present)3
- "Good Neighbors You Can Turn To" (1993–1998)
- "Your Good Neighbor Station" (1998–2007)
- "Always Tracking. Always Watching. Always On." (2007–present)
Current on-air staff4
- Diana Davis - weekdays at 11:00 a.m. and weeknights at 5:00 and 6:00 p.m.
- Craig Rickert - weeknights at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Amanda Hanson - weekday mornings on Good Morning Region 8 (4:30-7:00 a.m.); also reporter
- Josh Harvison - weekday mornings on Good Morning Region 8 (4:30-7:00 a.m.); also reporter
- Allison Munn - Saturdays at 6:00, Sundays at 5:00 and weekends at 10:00 p.m.; also reporter
- Region 8 StormTEAM
- Ryan Vaughan (NWA Seal of Approval, Member AMS and NWA) - chief meteorologist; weeknights at 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Bryan McCormick (member, AMS; member, NWA) - meteorologist; Saturdays at 6:00, Sundays at 5:00 and weekends at 10:00 p.m.; also reporter
- Justin Logan - weekday mornings on Good Morning Region 8 (4:30-7:00) and weekdays at 11:00 a.m.
- Sports team
- Chris Hudgison - sports director; weeknights at 6:00 and 10:00 p.m.
- Blake Guinn - sports anchor; Saturdays at 6:00, Sundays at 5:00 and weekends at 10:00 p.m.
- Will DuPree - video journalist
- Brandi Hunter - general assignment reporter
- Rodger Bumpass - announcer, film processor, cameraman, audio technician, and technical director (best known for providing the voice of Squidward Tentacles on Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Dick Clay - spent 30 years as sports director (1968-1998)
- KAIT8.com - Official Website
- KAIT-TV at RaycomMedia.com
- YourCWJonesboro.com - Official CW Jonesboro Website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KAIT
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KAIT-TV
- KAIT Station Profile & Public Inspection Files
|This article about a television station in Arkansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|