Warning: all items and those of a medical nature and/or pharmaceutical and/or legal published on Wikipedia (and in any part of TerritorioScuola Enhanced Wiki Alpha) must always be carefully checked before any use.
Kaub is known for the castle Pfalz, or Burg Pfalzgrafenstein, situated on a rock in the middle of the Rhine. According to legend, the Palatine countesses awaited their confinement in the Pfalz, but in reality the castle served as a toll-gate for merchandise on the Rhine. The restored castle Gutenfels sits on a hill above the town.
Kaub, first mentioned in the year 983, originally belonged to the lords of Falkenstein, in 1260 the Counts of Katzenelnbogen divided their county and selected the inhabitants of Kaub, then passed in 1277 to the Rhenish Electorate of the Palatinate, and attained civic rights in 1324. In 1477 Kaub was passed as deposit to the Counts of Katzenelnbogen again. In 1479 this family died out.2 At Kaub Blücher crossed the Rhine with the Prussian and Russian armies, on New Years night 1813-1814, in pursuit of the French.