Kiowa County, Kansas
|Kiowa County, Kansas|
New 2009 County Courthouse in Greensburg
Location in the state of Kansas
Kansas's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|• Total||722.62 sq mi (1,872 km2)|
|• Land||722.39 sq mi (1,871 km2)|
|• Water||0.23 sq mi (1 km2), 0.03%|
|• Density||4/sq mi (2/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Although the Kansas Constitution was amended in 1986 to allow the sale of alcoholic liquor by the individual drink with the approval of voters, Kiowa County has remained a prohibition, or "dry", county.2
According to the 2000 census, the county has a total area of 722.62 square miles (1,871.6 km2), of which 722.39 square miles (1,871.0 km2) (or 99.97%) is land and 0.23 square miles (0.60 km2) (or 0.03%) is water.3
- Edwards County (north)
- Pratt County (east)
- Barber County (southeast)
- Comanche County (south)
- Clark County (southwest)
- Ford County (west)
As of the census6 of 2000, there were 3,278 people, 1,365 households, and 924 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 1,643 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 97.19% White, 0.21% Black or African American, 0.61% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.98% from other races, and 0.73% from two or more races. 2.04% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,365 households out of which 27.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.60% were married couples living together, 5.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.30% were non-families. 30.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.32 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.00% under the age of 18, 8.20% from 18 to 24, 21.80% from 25 to 44, 24.60% from 45 to 64, and 21.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,576, and the median income for a family was $40,950. Males had a median income of $29,063 versus $20,764 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,207. About 7.40% of families and 10.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.50% of those under age 18 and 8.70% of those age 65 or over.
Name and population (2010 estimate):
Kiowa County has only one township, and none of the cities within the county are considered governmentally independent; all figures for the township include those of the cities.
/km² (/sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
km² (sq mi)
|Water %||Geographic coordinates|
|Kiowa Rural||37185||3,278||2 (5)||1,871 (722)||1 (0)||0.03%|
- Barclay College, Haviland
Information on this and other counties in Kansas
- List of counties in Kansas
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Kansas
- Kansas locations by per capita income
Other information for Kansas
- List of cities in Kansas
- List of unified school districts in Kansas
- List of colleges and universities in Kansas
- "2010 County Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 31, 2011.
- "Map of Wet and Dry Counties". Alcoholic Beverage Control, Kansas Department of Revenue. November 2004. Retrieved 2007-01-21.
- "Census 2000 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Counties". United States Census. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- U.S. County 2012 Estimated Census; census.gov
- U.S. Decennial Census; census.gov
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- History of the State of Kansas; William G. Cutler; A.T. Andreas Publisher; 1883. (Online HTML eBook)
- Kansas : A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc; 3 Volumes; Frank W. Blackmar; Standard Publishing Co; 944 / 955 / 824 pages; 1912. (Volume1 - Download 54MB PDF eBook),(Volume2 - Download 53MB PDF eBook), (Volume3 - Download 33MB PDF eBook)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kiowa County, Kansas.|
- General county information
- County level data
- Local history and genealogy
- Kiowa County Map, KDOT
- Kansas Highway Map, KDOT
- Kansas Railroad Map, KDOT
- Kansas School District Boundary Map, KSDE
||Ford County||Edwards County||Pratt County|
|Clark County||Comanche County||Barber County|