Lahore University of Management Sciences
|Lahore University of Management Sciences|
|Motto in English||Salute to Education|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. Sohail H. Naqvi|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Colours||Navy blue, charcoal, white|
Founded in 1984 by the patronage of the business–industrial community, the university offers programmes in science, arts, humanities, business and managements sciences. The university is ranked among one of the top university in the country as currently stands in top ranking in "business category" by the HEC as of 2013.345 In addition, the university entered its name in the university ranking list issued by Quacquarelli Symonds for top 700 universities in the world.6 The university offers research studies in business management and information technology.2
The university offers scientific research in arts, humanities, philosophy, arts, management engineering, social and natural sciences.2 The university is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities of the United Kingdom.27
- 1 History
- 2 Departments/schools
- 3 Faculty
- 4 Research at LUMS
- 5 LUMS Library
- 6 Societies
- 7 Financial aid
- 8 Scholaships
- 9 National Outreach Programme
- 10 Notable alumni
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
The university was granted a charter by the government of Pakistan in March 1985. The LUMS Board of Trustees comprises members of the domestic business community, academics, and government representatives. The principal functions of the board are to set policy guidelines and to review the operations of the university. The Board of Governors, as the sponsor of LUMS, raises funds for the university's operation and maintenance.8
In 1986, a business school by the name of Lahore Business School was established for an MBA Programme. Later the school was renamed and is known as Suleman Dawood Business School.9 After the construction of current campus, LUMS started undergraduate programmes in Economics and Computer Sciences in 1994. In 1996, the School of Arts and Science was introduced to oversee the undergraduate programmes.9 Master Programmes in Economics, Computer Sciences and Computer Engineering were introduced, followed by doctoral programmes in Computer Sciences, Computer Engineering and Mathematics. A five-year BA-LL.B degree was also added in 2005.
LUMS established the School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Law (SHSSL) to oversee the Social Sciences, Economics and Law departments. The School of Sciences and Engineering, for the disciplines of Mathematics, Computer Science and Computer Engineering, was established in 2008.9
The Suleman Dawood School of Business was the first school established at LUMS in 1986.
- Rausing Executive Development Centre:
REDC works under the aegis of Suleman Dawood School of Business (SDSB). REDC provides executive education services to the corporate community of the region. As an arm of SDSB, it provides short duration programmes in all areas of management to executives.
Almost all of REDC's core intellectual resources are borrowed from the SDSB including faculty, teaching material, case method of teaching and processes of ensuring quality.10
The School of Humanities and Sciences and Law consists of the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, the Department of Economics and the Department of Law.
- Department of Humanities and Social Science (DHSS):
DHSS offers three undergraduate programmes leading to the BSc (Honours) degree in Anthropology/Sociology, Humanities and Political Science, as well as a combined programme in Politics and Economics in conjunction with the Economics Department. Started in 1999, the Department of Humanities and Social Science is home to disciplines in the Social Science and Humanities including Anthropology and Sociology, Literature, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology and History.11
- Department of Economics:
The Economics Department offers a four-year undergraduate programme in Economics (first class graduated in 1997) as well as a master's programme in Economics (first class graduated in 2002). Economics is one of the most popular majors at the Uniudent body is enrolled in Economics either as a major, a joint degree programme or as a minor.12
- Department of Law and Policy:
In the space of three years the law faculty has attracted graduates from Harvard, Oxford, Michigan, British Columbia and the London School of Economics. The full-time faculty includes Roger Normand, a former executive director of the Centre for Economic and Social Rights, New York. The department is in the process of developing academic and exchange linkages with universities in the region.13
The LUMS School of Science and Engineering (SSE) is a new school within LUMS with undergraduate programs in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Physics; and graduate programs in Computer Science and Mathematics. Additional engineering programs will be added in the future.14 Sohail Asif Qureshi, presently a Professor of Biology at the school, has been chosen as the new Dean, who assumed office from 1 November 2011 for a period of three years.15
LUMS now has 170 full-time faculty. Faculty members include:
- Sohail Naqvi, Vice Chancellor.
- Ali Cheema, Associate professor of Economics and head of department.16
- Amer Iqbal, theoretical physicist, known for his work on string theory and supersymmetric gauge theories.
- Anjum Altaf, Dean of the School of Humanities, Social Science and Law, Professor of Economics.17
- Arif Iqbal Rana, Professor of Suleman Dawood School of Business, operations management and supply chain management.
- Arif N. Butt, Dean of the Suleman Dawood School of Business, Professor of Human Resources, Negotiation and Organizational Behavior
- Arif Zaman, a statistician and mathematician, known for his work on statistics and computer science.
- Farzad Rafi Khan, Professor of Organizational Politics, Alternative Management.
- Hammad Siddiqi, Professor of Economics.
- Ihsan ul Haq, Professor of Advertisement and Promotions Management.
- Jamshed H. Khan, Professor of Management and Decision Analysis
- Rasul Baksh Rais, Professor Political Science.17
- Shahryar Khan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
- S. Azmat Hassan, Adjunct Faculty, International Relations
- S. M Turab Hussain, Associate Professor, Economics.
- Sohail Qureshi, Dean of the School of Science and Engineering, Professor of Biology.17
- Syed Mubashir Ali, Professor of Financial Management and Accounting
The Suleman Dawood School of Business has produced more than 600 case studies and has published one of Asia's leading case research journals. Case studies written at LUMS are now used in universities across the world, including MBA programs in other Pakistani universities. In 2011, a case study written by LUMS Professors Shazib Shaikh and Zahoor Hassan won the Ruth Greene Memorial Award of the North American Case Research Association (NACRA)for the best case written outside North America.18 The LUMS School of Science and Engineering has published in international journals in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. In 2011 Professor Basit Yameen of the LUMS School of Science and Engineering won the Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship for his work on pi-conjugated polymers.1819
The Lahore University of Management Sciences library provides services that include loans, online information searching, reference services, inter-library loan, document delivery, photocopying, viewing of audiovisual and microfilm materials, access to virtual collections and digital resources, CD-ROM and online searching. It has a collection of 350,000 volumes, 128,000 e-books and 35,000 e-Journals.2021
- LUMS Daily Student (Journalism Society)
- Amnesty International - LUMS chapter
- Dramatics Society (DRAMALINE)
- Debates and Recitation Society at LUMS (DRUMS)
- ACM - LUMS Student Chapter
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) - LUMS Student Chapter
- Adventure Society
- Alpha Society
- Art Club
- Astronomy Club
- Chess Club
- Community Service Society
- Computer Gaming Association
- Culture Society
- Entrepreneurial So
- Law and Politics Society
- LUMS Media Arts Society
- LUMS Model United Nations
- Music Society
- Photographic Society
- Religious Society
- Student Math Society
- Volunteer Society
- Pakistan Students Association International - LUMS Chapter
- Publications at LUMS
- Random Walk Economics Society
- Society for Promotion and Development of Engineering and Sciences
- Sports at LUMS
- The Humanities and Social Sciences Network at LUMS
- Literaty Pakistan
- Managerial Society
Besides these societies, students-run Executive Clubs in management areas e.g. Marketing, Finance, Human Resource etc. have been introduced. The purpose of these executive clubs is to engage the student with extracurricular activities, providing a platform for the students to take part in organizing seminars and conferences. LUMS hosts conferences and events for IT companies. In February 2013, LUMS hosted Recruitment Drive for Tintash Pvt (Ltd).23
Financial assistance at LUMS is based on need and merit. Scholarships are typically awarded on merit or extremely high need. Usually a combination of financial aid comprising loan, tuition waiver and work compensation is offered to students. The university claims that it has given Rs. 1.2 billion in the form of scholarship or financial assistance to date.
Some forms of financial assistance available to LUMS students are as follows:
Given to all students on the admission merit list at the time of admission. Merit Scholarship for undergraduate programs covers full tuition fee for the top three students and in the graduate program it covers partial to full tuition fee for the first academic year of the students.
Granted to students in all
Granted to graduate programs with good academic performance and need for financial aid, the LUMS loan scheme covers 20%-100% of the tuition fee component of the student. LUMS loans are interest free.24
LUMS has launched a National Outreach Programme9 to reach out to bright students from underprivileged areas of Pakistan. Under this initiative, induction of selected candidates into the academic programs will be facilitated by preparation for the University’s admission criteria and then by provision of full financial assistance to those who qualify. Many students are admitted in LUMS on the basis of NOP. There are also a number of scholarships which are offered on need/academic achievement basis. A preliminary evaluation test is used to screen bright students from the underprivileged areas of Pakistan, which are then given training at LUMS for the common admission test.
Notable alumni include:
- Bilal Khan, singer25
- Hina Rabbani Khar - former Foreign Minister of Pakistan, Former Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan
- Umar Saif - Chairman PITB Pakistan
- Google maps. "Address of LUMS". Google maps. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- LUMS University Press. "History of LUMS". LUMS University Press. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "HEC Rankings". updated. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Naeem, Waqas (July 5, 2013). "LUMS, NUST and Aga Khan dominate HEC University Rankings 2013". Express Tribune. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- LUMS News (9 July 2013). "LUMS Tops Again in Business Education in the HEC Rankings". LUMS News. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Ghani, Asma (11 September). "3 Pakistani varsities ranked among world’s top 700". The Nation, Pakistan. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "ACU members". ACU UK. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "The Tribune – Magazine section – Saturday Extra". Tribuneindia.com. 24 March 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Lahore University of Management Sciences and Art (LUMS)". Hss.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- dead link
- "Lums Sse | About Sse". Sse.lums.edu.pk. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- dead link
- Sheikh, Shahzaib. "Bilal Khan talks about his acting stint,Lux Style Awards and new album". The News: Instep Today. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Official website
- Lahore University of Management Sciences on Facebook
- Lahore University of Management Sciences on Twitter
- Lahore University of Management Sciences on YouTube
- Lahore University of Management Sciences on Vimeo
- Lahore University of Management Sciences
- Lahore University of Management Sciences - Campus Radio
- LUMS Review - alumni news
- LUMS Alumni Association of North America