Leeds Town Hall
|Leeds Town Hall|
Leeds Town Hall - Victorian civic confidence
|Town or city||Leeds|
|Client||Corporation of Leeds|
|Design and construction|
Leeds went through a period of rapid growth in the first half of the 19th century and by the mid-19th century it became apparent that the court house was no longer large enough for the functions it performed. In July 1850, Leeds Borough Council decided to build a new town hall and established a committee to assess the opinions of Leeds' inhabitants as to the building of a new municipal hall.
In order to finance the town hall, the council proposed to sell shares in the building to the value of £10 but the proposal failed. The council then proposed introducing a specific rate levied to fund its construction although it was not introduced until after the November 1850 local election, and most residents who would have paid the tax at the time lacked voting rights. The town hall was approved in January 1851 when Alderman Hepper put the motion to the council and it was carried by 24 votes to 12.2 It was intended to represent Leeds' emergence as an important industrial centre during the Industrial Revolution and symbolize civic pride and confidence. Leeds Corporation tendered for designs from architects and the contract was won by Cuthbert Brodrick, an unknown architect from Kingston upon Hull who had trained in Paris.
Leeds Town Hall was subject to much criticism during its construction. The original estimated costs were vastly exceeded but the corporation paid excess at a time when there was great poverty among the Leeds' working classes.3 On 26 May 1868 a bazaar was held in the town hall to help pay debts incurred for the building the Mechanics Institute, these were around £6,000.4
The town hall provided accommodation for municipal departments, a courtroom, police station or 'central charge office', and a venue for concerts and civic events. It still has a role as a council office, although many departments have been relocated.5 The principal performance space, the richly decorated Victoria Hall, is a venue for orchestral concerts. Its concert organ, the largest three manual example in Europe, is used for lunchtime organ recitals, many given by Simon Lindley.
On 14 and 15 March 1941, Leeds was bombed by the Luftwaffe. Houses were destroyed in Bramley, Burley, Armley and Beeston and bombs dropped on the city centre, hitting the east side of the town hall causing significant damage to its roof and walls on Calverley Street. The damage was repaired shortly after.7
In 1999 and 2000, when the adjacent library was being refurbished, it provided storage and a small lending library operated from the crypt.
The town hall is used by the city council as a register office. Weddings and civil partnerships take place in the Albert or Brodrick Suites. The former courtrooms are now the Albert Room, a conference suite with adjacent bar and canteen.8
Today the town hall is mainly used for concerts and formal civic functions. It is the setting for the Leeds International Pianoforte Competition.9 The Leeds International Film Festival screens many of its films in the there each year.10 Leeds Town Hall was used for filming The New Statesman, often standing-in for parliament and other London based government offices. The town hall hosts events of local interest such as the Leeds International Beer Festival. In 2003 a concert by American band Black Rebel Motorcycle Club was abandoned half way through as the floor started to move and officials feared collapse.41112
Leeds Town Hall is one of the largest town halls in the United Kingdom and as of 2008[update] it is the eighth tallest building in Leeds. It was opened by Queen Victoria, highlighting its status as an important civic structure. It is a Grade I listed building.
With a height of 225 feet (68.6 m) it was the tallest building in Leeds from its construction in 1858 until 1966, when it lost the title to the Park Plaza Hotel, which stands 8 metres (26 ft) taller at 77 metres (253 ft). It has held the title longer than any other building, a record 108 years. The distinctive clock tower, which serves as a symbol of Leeds was not part of the initial design but was added by Brodrick in 1856 as the civic leaders sought to make an even grander statement.
Leeds Civic Hall was commissioned by Leeds Corporation in a Keynesian project intended to provide work for the local unemployed. The Civic Hall opened in 1933 as the seat of Leeds City Council. Since then the Town Hall has been used for civic events such as concerts rather than council meetings.
In a 1960's BBC film about the changing architecture of Leeds, poet John Betjeman, known for his love of Victorian architecture, praised the town hall.14 On 29 November 2008, Leeds Town Hall and the town halls of Halifax, Paisley, Burslem, Hornsey, Manchester, Lynton, Dunfermline, Fordwich and Much Wenlock were selected as the "ten town halls to visit" by Architecture Today. It commented: The epitome of northern civic bombast, Leeds' municipal palace has a grandeur that helps sustain the city's sense of its own importance. Its architect, Cuthbert Broderick, also contributed the Corn Exchange and City Museum before disappearing into obscurity.15
Park Lane (now The Headrow) in 1847. A small park lies on the site of the town hall
Interior showing the pipe organ
- List of tallest buildings in Leeds
- Architecture of Leeds
- Leeds Civic Hall, the replacement building for the councils civic functions
- Wrathmell, Susan; with Minnis, John (2005). Leeds (Pevsner Architectural Guides). New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. pp. 60–67. ISBN 0-300-10736-6.
- "Leeds in World War 2". mylearning. Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- Robinson, Paul (5 October 2012). "Opening titles ready to roll on 2012 Leeds International Film Festival". Yorkshire Evening Post. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "How we built Britain". Retrieved 2010-06-16.
- "Ten town halls to visit". Daily Telegraph. 29 Nov 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leeds Town Hall.|
- Leeds City Council information about the Town Hall
- Virtual Tour inside Leeds Town Hall
- Details from listed building database (465669) - Leeds Town Hall - Grade I. Images of England. English Heritage.