Lillie Bridge Grounds
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2011)|
The Lillie Bridge Grounds was a sports ground in London near to present day Stamford Bridge, opened around 1867. The ground started to fall into disuse after the opening of Stamford Bridge, and after a riot on 18 September 1887 which destroyed the track and grandstand, it finally closed in 1888.12
Lillie Bridge is these days better known as a London Underground (LUL) maintenance depot, and the Earls Court 2 annex of the Earls Court Exhibition Centre complex was built over the railway lines.3 It is also now home to the Empress State Building completed in 1961.
The Wanderers, after winning the first FA Cup final in 1872, were allowed to defend the cup in the second final of 1873 with choice of venue. Not having a ground of their own, they chose Lillie Bridge and Oxford University were defeated 2-0. The low 3,000 attendance was attributed to the Boat Race occurring later in the same day, so few turned up or in fact stayed for the whole duration of the game.
Results of FA Cup Finals at Lillie Bridge
Middlesex County Cricket Club moved to Lillie Bridge in 1869 before leaving in 1872 due to the poor quality of the turf. The club nearly folded at this time, a vote for continuing being won 7-6.
Lillie Bridge was the home of the Amateur Athletic Club which organised the Amateur Championships before they were held under the auspices of the Amateur Athletic Association. The London Athletics Club moved in in 1869 before leaving for Stamford Bridge in 1877.
- Lillie Bridge, TheFA.com
- British Library image 1 of posters for events at Lillie Bridge
- British Library image 2 of posters for events at Lillie Bridge
- Baily's magazine of sports and pastimes (February 1870) - see page 191 for description of "The new grounds of the Amateur Athletic Club"