List of active separatist movements in Oceania
This is a list of currently active separatist movements in Oceania. Separatism includes autonomism and secessionismdisambiguation needed. What is and is not considered an autonomist or secessionist movement is sometimes contentious. Entries on this list must meet two criteria:
- They are active movements with living, active members.
- They are seeking greater autonomy or self-determination for a geographic region (as opposed to personal autonomy).
Under each region listed is one or more of the following:
- De facto state: for regions with de facto autonomy from the government
- Proposed state: proposed name for a seceding sovereign state
- Proposed autonomous area: for movements toward greater autonomy for an area but not outright secession
- De facto autonomous government: for governments with de facto autonomous control over a region
- Government-in-exile: for a government based outside of the region in question, with or without control
- Political party (or parties): for political parties involved in a political system to push for autonomy or secession
- Militant organisation(s): for armed organisations (sometimes called terrorist organisations)
- Advocacy group(s): for non-belligerent, non-politically participatory entities
- French Polynesia
- Political party: Tavini Huiraatira
- New Caledonia
Indonesia is a transcontinental country. See also List of active separatist movements in Asia#Indonesia
- Proposed state: Republic of Aceh
- Militant organisation: Free Aceh Movement (negotiated peace with the Indonesian government in 2005, and now it is a civil movement, but the separatism still has supporters)
- Proposed state: South Moluccas
- Proposed state: Riau
- Māori people
- South Island
- Political parties: South Island Partydisambiguation needed, New Munster Party
- Pressure groups: Cut the Cable, South Island First, Zealandia Independence Project
- Militant organization: New Munster Liberation Army6
- Proposed state: New Munster, South Zealand
- Proposed autonomous region: New Munster Province
- Bougainville (member of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization)
- Pressure movement: Chamoru Nation, Organization of People for Indigenous Rights8
- Local Self-Government: Guam Commission on Self-Determination, now known as the Commission on Decolonization
- "Banaba - Our Homeland". Abara Banaba. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- http://newmunster.webs.com/ourpolicies.htm New Munster Party - Our Policies (Self-Determination)
- "Bougainville Revolutionary Army (BRA) (Papua New Guinea), GROUPS - ASIA - DORMANT". Jane's Information Group. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "One of the Best Kept Secrets of the United States of America". Dialogue Between Nations. Retrieved 2009-04-10.