List of active separatist movements in Oceania
This is a list of currently active separatist movements in Oceania. Separatism includes autonomism and secessionism. What is and is not considered an autonomist or secessionist movement is sometimes contentious. Entries on this list must meet three criteria:
- They are active movements with living, active members.
- They are seeking greater autonomy or self-determination for a geographic region (as opposed to personal autonomy).
- They are the citizen/peoples of the conflict area and not comes from other country.
Under each region listed is one or more of the following:
- De facto state: for regions with de facto autonomy from the government
- Proposed state: proposed name for a seceding sovereign state
- Proposed autonomous area: for movements toward greater autonomy for an area but not outright secession
- De facto autonomous government: for governments with de facto autonomous control over a region
- Government-in-exile: for a government based outside of the region in question, with or without control
- Political party (or parties): for political parties involved in a political system to push for autonomy or secession
- Militant organisation(s): for armed organisations (sometimes called terrorist organisations)
- Advocacy group(s): for non-belligerent, non-politically participatory entities
- Proposed state: Euahlayi Peoples Republic1
- Advocacy group: Provisional Euahlayi Peoples Executive Council and the Senior Council of Euahlayi Elders
- Proposed state Mbarbram on the Atherton Tableland in North Queensland.
- Advocacy group: Mbarbram Nation Council
- Proposed state: Murrawarri Republic
- Advocacy group: The Murrawarri's Council
- Proposed state: Wiradjuri Central West Republic2
- Advocacy group: Wiradjuri Nation Council
- French Polynesia
- Political party: Tavini Huiraatira
- New Caledonia
Indonesia is a transcontinental country. See also List of active separatist movements in Asia#Indonesia
- Proposed state: Republic of Aceh
- Militant organisation: Free Aceh Movement (negotiated peace with the Indonesian government in 2005, and now it is a civil movement, but the separatism still has supporters)
- Proposed state: South Moluccas
- Proposed state: Riau
- Māori people
- South Island
- Bougainville (member of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization)
- Pressure movement: Chamoru Nation, Organization of People for Indigenous Rights9
- Local Self-Government: Guam Commission on Self-Determination, now known as the Commission on Decolonization
- Euahlayi Peoples Republic
- "Native Village News". Nativevillage.org.
- "easterisland - www". Hectortobar.com. 2004-01-28.
- "Banaba - Our Homeland". Abara Banaba. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- New Munster Party - Our Policies (Self-Determination)
- "Bougainville Revolutionary Army (BRA) (Papua New Guinea), GROUPS - ASIA - DORMANT". Jane's Information Group. Retrieved 2009-04-10.
- "One of the Best Kept Secrets of the United States of America". Dialogue Between Nations. Retrieved 2009-04-10.