List of best-selling singles by year in the United Kingdom
This is a list of the best-selling singles on the UK Singles Chart for each year. Note that the Number sold section denotes the amount sold within the year, not in total, as very often the single continues to sell more in later years (and sometimes other singles released within a particular year will go on to outsell the year-end winner (e.g. Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's "Especially for You" (from 1988) ultimately outsold "Mistletoe and Wine")).
* denotes cause/charity release
|1950s||"Rock Around the Clock"||Bill Haley & His Comets||1,392,000|
|1960s||"She Loves You"||The Beatles||1,300,000|
|1970s||"Mull of Kintyre"||Wings||2,050,000|
|1980s||"Do They Know it's Christmas?"||Band Aid||3,510,000|
|1990s||"Candle in the Wind '97"||Elton John||4,865,000|
|2000s||"Anything Is Possible" / "Evergreen"||Will Young||1,795,00011|
|2010s||"Someone like You"||Adele||1,488,000|
- General (list positions)
- Lane, Dan (18 November 2012). "The biggest selling singles of every year revealed! (1952-2011)". London: Official Charts Company. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- The Complete Book of British Charts by Warwick/Kutner/Brown (sales for earlier years)
- BPI certifications - Best sellers 2001 - 2005
- Hunter Davies Official Biography
- Billboard Magazine, 7 January 1967, Page 38
- Billboard. "Alexandra Burke top selling single of 2008". Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- What HiFi? Sound and Vision. "Discs and downloads". Retrieved 10/1/2010.
- The Official Charts Company. "Eminem/Rihanna & Take That scoop 2010 crowns". Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- The Official Charts Company. "The Top 20 biggest selling singles of 2011 revealed!". Retrieved 2011-01-05.
- The Official Charts Company. "The Official Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles Of 2012 revealed! revealed!". Retrieved 2012-01-03.
- List of Best selling song of all time (dated end 2002)
- Music Week - official figure