List of metropolitan areas in Mississippi
The State of Mississippi has a total of five metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) that are fully or partially located in the state. 17 of the state's 82 counties are classified by the United States Census Bureau as metropolitan. As of the 2000 census, these counties had a combined population of 1,194,522 (42.0% of the state's total population). Based on a July 1, 2009 population estimate, that figure rose to 1,311,726 (44.4% of the state's total population).1
|Metropolitan Statistical Area||July 1, 2009
|Memphis, TN-AR-MS MSA2||233,392||176,789||32.02%|
|1 The Gulfport-Biloxi and Pascagoula metropolitan areas were significantly impacted by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Prior to the hurricane, both areas had experienced steady to moderate population growth.
2 Population figures only reflect the Mississippi portion (four counties) of the Memphis TN-AR-MS metro area.
The United States Census Bureau defines a Combined Statistical Area (CSA) as an aggregate of adjacent Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs)2 that are linked by commuting ties. There are three combined statistical areas in Mississippi.
|Combined Statistical Area||July 1, 2009
|Jackson-Yazoo City CSA||568,847||525,346||8.28%|
|Columbus-West Point CSA||80,380||83,565||–3.81%|
|1 The Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula CSA was significantly impacted by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Prior to the hurricane, the area had experienced steady to moderate population growth.|
- List of micropolitan areas in Mississippi
- List of cities in Mississippi
- List of towns and villages in Mississippi
- Mississippi census statistical areas
- Table of United States primary census statistical areas (PCSA)
- Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas (CSA)
- Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA)
- Table of United States Micropolitan Statistical Areas (μSA)
- "Table 1. Annual Estimates of the Population for Counties of Mississippi: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009" (CSV). 2009 Population Estimates. United States Census Bureau, Population Division. 2010-03-23. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- The 938 Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs) currently defined by the United States Census Bureau include the 361 Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), which generally have an urban core population of 50,000 or more, and the 577 Micropolitan Statistical Areas , which generally have an urban core population of 10,000 or more but less than 50,000.