London Underground M and N Stock
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2012)|
|M and N Stock|
Interior of N/Q35 Stock at London Transport Museum Acton Depot
|Manufacturer||BRC&W (M Stock) and Metro-Cammell (N Stock)|
|Length per car||50'|
|Width||8' 11 5/16"|
|Weight||DM 34.03 tons
T 23.82 tons
The London Underground M Stock and N Stock were similar designs of rolling stock built in 1935. As the new cars were urgently required they were based on existing designs (K Stock and L Stock). Several years after construction both types were absorbed into the Q Stock. The last of these trains were withdrawn in 1971.
London Underground M Stock was a clerestory-roofed rail stock built for the Hammersmith and City Line in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The M Stock was based on the 1927 K stock. Twenty-eight cars were built in 1935 by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company: fourteen were driving motor cars and the rest were trailers. All the driving motor cars were converted to trailers between 1947 and 1955.
The M Stock was the first surface stock to be delivered with air-operated doors.
Upon conversion to Q Stock, all the cars were transferred to the District Line (with the Hammersmith and City Line services being operated from 1938 onwards by new trains of O Stock).
London Underground N Stock was a type of clerestory-roofed stock built in 1935 and subsequently absorbed into the London Underground Q Stock, being redesignated Q35 Stock. The N Stock was based on the 1927 K Stock. Twenty-six cars, all trailers, were built in 1935 by Metropolitan Cammell.
|This article about the London Underground is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|