Marion Blue Racers
|Marion Blue Racers|
|Team history||Marion Blue Racers (2011-present)|
|Arena||Veterans Memorial Coliseum|
|Based in||Marion, Ohio|
|Colors||Blue, Light Blue, Red, White
|Head coach||LaMonte Coleman|
|General Manager||LaMonte Coleman|
|Playoff berths||2 (2011 & 2012)|
The Marion Blue Racers are a professional indoor football team based in Marion, Ohio. The team is currently a member of the South Division of the Continental Indoor Football League (CIFL). The Blue Racers began play as an expansion team in the CIFL in 2011, before moving to the United Indoor Football League (UIFL) for the 2012 season. The Blue Racers returned to the CIFL in 2013. The team had announced that it would be joining the Xtreme Indoor Football League (XIFL) for the 2014, but later re-signed with the CIFL. The Blue Racers are the second indoor football team to be based in Marion, the first being CIFL charter members the Marion Mayhem from 2006 to 2010. The Owners of the Blue Racers are LaMonte and Shavonne Coleman. The Blue Racers play their home games at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Marion, Ohio.
- 1 Franchise history
- 2 Players of note
- 3 Coaches of note
- 4 Statistics and records
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The franchise couldn't have asked for a more exciting start than their first game on March 5, 2011. Marion entered the 4th quarter trailing 37-23 to the Port Huron Predators. They started their comeback by scoring a touchdown with 10:31 left in the game. Mike Tatum caught a nine yard touchdown pass from Josh Harris and Tyler Lorenz added the extra point, cutting Port Huron’s lead was cut to 37-30. With 3:27 left in the game, Harris ran in from three yards out to tie the game. The game winning score came on an eight yard run by Harris with 27 seconds to play. Port Huron quarterback Jim Roth was intercepted by Bryan Williams as time expired to secure the victory. On April 2, 2011, the Blue Racers set a CIFL record with 8 rushing touchdowns in a single game, against the Indianapolis Enforcers.1 After the Blue Racers got off to a 3-1 start, Demetrius Ross stepped down from his Head Coaching position, citing personal reasons. His Defensive Coordinator, Ryan Terry took over as Head Coach, just 2 days before the Blue Racers played their first road game at the Dayton Silverbacks.2 The Blue Racers went on to a 8-2 regular season record, losing twice to the Cincinnati Commandos. The team defeated the Dayton Silverbacks 53-18 in the league Semi-Finals, before being defeated by the Commandos again in the 2011 CIFL Championship Game 44-29.
On July 5, 2011, the Blue Racers announced they were leaving the CIFL to join the Ultimate Indoor Football League.3 The Blue Racers were added as a member of the Northern Conference, re-uniting with, their arch-rivals, the Cincinnati Commandos. On August 17, 2011, Lorenzo Styles was named the 3rd head coach in franchise history.4 In February, team CEO and General Manager, LaMonte Coleman, took a coaching position with the Pittsburgh Power of the Arena Football League.5 The following day, Ryan Sawyer was named the team's interim general manager while Coleman was coaching in Pittsburgh.6 On March 30, 2012, Styles resigned as the head coach of the Blue Racers after compiling a 3-1 record, citing personal reason as the reason for his resignation.7 Offensive Coordinator Marc Huddleston, took over as the team's head coach.8 The team remained a strong pipeline for the Pittsburgh Power, as both the team's kickers, Trey Kramer and Seth Burkholder, signed with the team.910 The Blue Racers finished the season with a 7-4 record, earning the 3rd seed in the UIFL North playoff. The team traveled to play the second seeeded Erie Explosion, where the game was played at a high school field, where the team had built walls for the playing field. It is the first time an indoor football game, has been played outdoors. The Explosion went on to defeat the Blue Racers 56-47, after the Blue Racers had led 22-0 early in the game.11
The Blue Racers announced they would be leaving the UIFL following the conclusion of the 2012 season. A few days later, the franchise returned to the CIFL.12 On September 18, 2012, the Blue Racers name, CEO and General Manager, LaMonte Coleman, as the team's 5th head coach in franchise history.13 Three weeks before the start of the season, the Blue Racers announced that offensive coordinator, Martino Theus, had been promoted to Head Coach for the 2013 season.14 Theus was later removed as the head coach in Marion after a 1-4 start.15 Marc Huddleston finish the season as the Blue Racers head coach, as the team finish the season 2-8. Every home game of the 2013 season was be shown on WMNO Marion TV 22, available via broadcast on UHF channel 22 and on Time Warner Cable channel 3 (Marion only).
In May 2013, the Blue Racers announced that they were leaving the CIFL again, this time join the Xtreme Indoor Football League.16 The league was supposed to be ran by Blue Racers owner, LaMonte Coleman. However in August 2013, the Blue Racers re-signed with the CIFL to a multi-year contract. Coleman has hired Marc Huddleston as the 2014 Head Coach and Director of Football Operations.
Marion Blue Racers Roster
The following is a list of all Marion Blue Racers players who have won end of the season league awards.
|2011||Mike Tatum||Wide Receiver||Special Teams Player of the Year|
|2012||Robert Price||Center||1st Team All-UIFL North|
|2012||Ray Saunders||Linebacker||1st Team All-UIFL North|
|2012||Lambert Budzinski||Linebacker||1st Team All-UIFL North|
|2012||Kris Stafford||Offensive Lineman||Honorable Mention All-UIFL North|
|2012||Thomas McKenzie||Defensive End||Honorable Mention All-UIFL North|
|2012||Marcus Dorsey||Defensive Back||Honorable Mention All-UIFL North|
|2012||Trey Kramer||Placekicker||Honorable Mention All-UIFL North|
- Josh Harris - QB, Former NFL player
- Mike Tatum - WR, 2-time CIFL Special Teams Player of the Year (2010 & 2011)
- Melvin Tuten - OL, Former NFL player
- Bryan Williams - DB, AFL player/CFL player
- Christen Haywood - RB, 2011 CIFL rushing champion
- Thomas McKenzie - DE, UIFL Defensive Player of the Year (2011)
- Bryceson Lawrence - DB, CIFL Defensive Player of the Year (2009)
- Trey Kramer - K, AFL player
- Seth Burkholder - K, AFL player
Note: Statistics are correct through the end of Week 11 of the 2014 Continental Indoor Football League season.
|Ryan Terry||2011||5||1||0||.833||1||1||CIFL Coach of the Year|
|Marc Huddleston||2012, 2013-2014||9||8||0||.529||0||1|
|Marion Blue Racers staff|
Note: The Finish, Wins, Losses, and Ties columns list regular season results and exclude any postseason play.
|League Champions||Conference Champions||Division Champions||Wild Card Berth||League Leader|
|Season||Team||League||Conference||Division||Regular season||Postseason Results|
|2011||2011||CIFL||2nd||8||2||0||Won CIFL semifinals (Silverbacks) 53-53
Lost CIFL Championship Game (Commandos) 29–44
|2012||2012||UIFL||North||3rd||7||4||0||Lost UIFL quarterfinals (Explosion) 47–56|
|Totals||23||16||0||All-time regular season record (2011–2014)|
|1||2||-||All-time postseason record (2011–2014)|
|24||18||0||All-time regular season and postseason record (2011–2014)|
* Season currently in progress
- Blue Racers roll past Indianapolis
- Blue Racers Coach Ross steps down
- "Marion Blue Racers join UIFL". TheUIFL.com. UIFL. Retrieved 2011.
- "Lorenzo Styles to Coach Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. August 18, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Coleman Signs with AFL's Power". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. February 15, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Sawyer Promoted". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. February 16, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Lorenzo Styles resigns as Blue Racers coach". Marion Star. March 30, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Shawn Curtis (April 6, 2012). "Generals looking to stay unbeaten at War Memorial". The Tribune-Democrat. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Trey Kramer Moves Up". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 3, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "A Second Blue Racer Kicker Moves On". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 11, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- Bob Jarzomski (June 17, 2012). "Explosion erupt in 4th to top Blue Racers in UIFL playoff game". Erie Times-News. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "CIFL Welcomes Back Marion Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. July 13, 2012. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Blue Racers Name Head Coach". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. September 18, 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- "Theus Promoted to Lead 2013 Blue Racers". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. January 17, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- Denny McPherson (March 22, 2013). "Blue Racers have new coaches, players, ideas". www.marionstar.com. Gannett. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "Blue Racers, Three Other Teams Join Newly Formed XIFL". www.oursportscentral.com. OurSports Central. May 28, 2013. Retrieved June 11, 2013.