McMaster Divinity College, also known as MDC, is a Christian seminary in Hamilton, Ontario. It is affiliated with the Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec, although in practice it is interdenominational, and could be said to more closely aligned with the broader Evangelical tradition. The institution's mission is to develop effective evangelical Christian leaders for the church, academy, and society through university-level education, professional training, and ongoing support..
Though the College and McMaster University have been independent of one another since 1957, the College maintains strong links with many of McMaster University's Christian groups, and also serves as a resource for them. It offers worship and meeting space, as well as hosting outside speakers. It is accredited by the ATS. McMaster Divinity College is an affiliate organization of the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada.
McMaster Divinity College admits students to the following programs of study: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) (Christian Theology), Master of Arts (M.A.) (Christian Studies), Master of Divinity (M.Div.), Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.), Diploma in Ministry, and Certificate in Christian Studies.
The College is located on McMaster University's campus overlooking the main quadrangle. It is a self-contained institution with a chapel, classrooms, and a covered walkway reminiscent of a monastery.
McMaster Divinity College traces its origins to the Toronto Baptist College, founded by Sen. William McMaster in 1881. Toronto Baptist's facilities were on Bloor Street in Toronto, now the Royal Conservatory of Music. In 1887, the college secured a charter for an independent sectarian university sponsored by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec and incorporating the arts and sciences, pastoral and missionary training, and Woodstock College (a Baptist preparatory school). The Ladies department of Woodstock College was transferred to Toronto and renamed Moulton College in honour of William McMaster's widow Susan Moulton McMaster. The University was named in honor of Sen. McMaster, who died in 1888. In 1957, McMaster University was reorganized as a secular public institution, while the theological program became McMaster Divinity College, a separately chartered affiliate college of the University.2