|1×10−3 m||0.1 cm|
|US customary / Imperial units|
|3.2808×10−3 ft||39.370×10−3 in|
The millimetre (International spelling as used by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures) or millimeter (American spelling) (SI unit symbol mm) is a unit of length in the metric system, equal to one thousandth of a metre, which is the SI base unit of length.
Since 1983, the metre has been defined as "the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1 of a second."1 A millimetre, 1 of a metre, is therefore the time travelled by light in one 1 of a second.
- millimetre (㎜) - code U+339C2
- square millimetre (㎟) - code U+339F2
- cubic millimetre (㎣) - code U+33A32
Microwaves with a frequency of 300Ghz have a wavelength of 1mm. Using wavelengths between 30 and 300 Ghz for data transmission, in contrast to the 300Mhz to 3Ghz normally used in mobile devices, has the potential to allow data transfer rates of 10 Gigabits per second.5
The smallest distances the human eye can resolve is around 0.02 to 0.04mm, approximately the width of a human hair.6 A sheet of paper is typically between 0.07 and 0.18mm thick, with ordinary printer paper or copy paper approximately a tenth of a millimetre thick.7 The thinnest phone as of 2013[update] is the Huawei Ascend P6, at 6.2mm thick.8
|Look up millimetre in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "17th General Conference on Weights and Measures (1983), Resolution 1.". International Bureau of Weights and Measures. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "CJK Compatibility". unicode.org. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "How do I read a ruler?". onlineconversion.com. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Accuracy of Calipers". TresnaInstrument.com. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Huang, Kao-Cheng; Wang, Zhaocheng (2011). Millimeter Wave Communication Systems. ISBN 9781118102756.
- "How Small Can the Naked Eye See?". Focus Magazine. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Thickness of a Piece of Paper". hypertextbook.com. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Huawei Ascend P6 review". Tech Radar. Retrieved 3 December 2013.