|Comune di Mirandola|
|Frazioni||Cividale, Gavello, Mortizzuolo, Quarantoli, San Giacomo Roncole, San Martin Carano, San Martino Spino, Tramuschio|
|• Mayor||Maino Benatti|
|• Total||137.1 km2 (52.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (420/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Saint Possidonio|
|Saint day||16 May|
Mirandola originated as a Renaissance city-fortress. For four centuries it was the seat of a independent principality (first a county, then a duchy), a possession of the Pico family, whose most outstanding member was the polymath Giovanni Pico della Mirandola (1463-1494). It was besieged two times: in 1510 and 1551.
It was acquired by the Duchy of Modena in 1710. The city started to decay after the castle was destroyed in 1714.
On May 29, 2012 a powerful earthquake hit the Mirandola area. It killed at least 17 people and collapsed churches and factories. Also 200 were injured. The 5.8 magnitude quake left 14,000 people homeless.2
- The Palazzo del Comune is a 15th-century edifice of Gothic style. The castle of the Pico family has been recently restored and it is now open to the public.
- Palazzo della Ragione, in late Gothic style.
- Palazzo Bergomi (15th century)
- Palazzo Comunale (1468, largely restored in the 19th century), with the portraits of the Pico and other artworks, including an Adoration of the Magi once attributed to Palma il Giovane.
- The cathedral, dating from the end of the 15th century, has been restored. S. Francesco is a fine Gothic church. It houses the tombs of the Pico family, including that of Prendiparte Pico (14th century). Collapsed during the second of the 2012 Emilia earthquakes.
- The Baroque Church of the Gesù (1690).
- The 15th century Collegiata.
- Official website (Italian)
|This article on a location in Emilia–Romagna is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|